Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance and Tax??

Options
  • 15-01-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

I have a Nissan Almera car at the moment and the missus wants to change it for a new one. She is getting a small car like a opel corsa as I dont drive the car at all I have a van. The nissan is in my name but she will be buying the new car which will be in her name. My question can I tax and insure the corsa even though it will be in her name??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The car has to be insured by the registered owner. Tax is a little easier, the registered owner just has to sign the form

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you married? That's actually quite important;

If you are married, then yes you can insure the car in your name.

If you're not married, then you can only get Third Party insurance on the vehicle. In this case, tt would make more sense to get her insured on the vehicle, and have yourself added as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Thanks for replies. No we are not married. At the moment my insurance is only €650 with her as name driver. If i insure the new car its only €38 extra but it is going to cost €900 for her to get her own insurance. Just thought there might have been a way around it.

Put the car in your name? I know that kind of thing can be a bit dangerous if you were to split though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there any reason why you wouldn't put the car in your name?

As long as your name is on the reg. cert., then it shouldn't be an issue. Legally, the car wouldn't be yours, but the missus needn't be concerned about you running off with her car :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

seamus wrote:
    Are you married? That's actually quite important;

If you are married, then yes you can insure the car in your name.

If you're not married, then you can only get Third Party insurance on the vehicle. In this case, tt would make more sense to get her insured on the vehicle, and have yourself added as a named driver.

FYI: When we became a two car family my wife transfered the insurance pol to the new car. I then insured our old car on a new policy in my name. However, the insurance company INSISTED that I change the registration into my name irrespective of the fact that we were married.

So the car now offically has 1 extra owner. This didnt bother me as the car was 10 years old at the time. Now 14 years old and still going strong. :D

Put the car in your name? I know that kind of thing can be a bit dangerous if you were to split though

Onkle wrote:
    I don't know why that post came up twice...
    What if they split and she decided to test if the gatso cameras are working properly :p

Advertisement