Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Run Flat tires

Options
  • 15-01-2007 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I appear to have a slow puncture on a Run flat tire - do you know if these can be repaired or do you have to replace every time?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't know if this is true, but have a look.
    One area of particular interest is the question of repairs to Run-flat Tyres. At the moment the majority of tyre manufacturers DO NOT recommend a Run-flat tyre be repaired following operation at reduced pressure. When a standard tyre is punctured and runs at reduced or zero pressure it will suffer damage to the sidewall that will render it unfit for repair and re-use. This damage is easily spotted once the tyre is removed and is usually seen as a creasing to the inner liner of the tyre in the sidewall area. This creasing indicates that damage has occured to the internal construction of the tyre and further use could result in casing failure.
    Due to its heavily reinforced sidewall construction a Run-flat tyre will not exhibit these signs and there may be internal damage that cannot be seen. A Run-flat tyre will undergo a great deal of stress while operating in a zero pressure situation and will therefore be subject to greater stresses than a standard tyre. The actual tyre does not carry the weight of the vehicle - it is the pneumatic effect of the air inside the tyre that carries the weight.

From http://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers Mark

I asked the dealer to have a look as the car was in for a service - again he said that they do not recommend you fix it , however there are places that will fix it. I'm sure it would be fine but its better be safe than sorry so I am getting a new tyre. (my wallet is 280 euro + VAT lighter!!) I hope I dont get too many punctures

Advertisement