Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Phd in Ireland

Options
  • 14-01-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Not sure if this is right forum, so sorry if I am stepping on peoples toes:o

Guys some very basic questions people could maybe help me with.

I am in late twenties, have got BA and MA. Worked for five years after college, have been unemployed since last October and am thinking of returning to do a Phd after the summer.

The Phd would be broadly in the History/sociology/contp politics area.

1. Can I get funding? Will the state help me out (ie a grant)? What kind of costs are we looking at?

2. Is it possible to work full-time while doing a Phd, has anyone experience of this?

3. Do you have to pitch a specific idea for a topic to a specific lecturer?

4. Is it possible to do a Phd in a British UNiversity, while still living in Ireland??

I know these might sound basic to some people, but I am just starting to really think about my options.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

1. Can I get funding? Will the state help me out (ie a grant)? What kind of costs are we looking at?
    County/city councils now fund up to PhD level for 4 years, which includes fees and a small grant (around 3000 euro). Much better funding is available through competitions (www.irchss.ie and many other sources) and sometimes through your college. In Irish universities the fees for a PhD cost around 4-5000 euro a year or so.

2. Is it possible to work full-time while doing a Phd, has anyone experience of this?

I know a few people who work, it is possible and people do it / have done it before, but the odds of you finishing are pretty low compared to those who don't.

You have to draft a research proposal. You need to target specific member(s) of staff who can actually supervise the topic you choose. It should be roughly in an area that interests your supervisor and not duplicate any existing research.

4. Is it possible to do a Phd in a British UNiversity, while still living in Ireland??

I'm not sure about this, it might be possible. The trend nowadays seems to be towards structured PhD programmes that demand your presence a lot and might ask for you to sit a few courses at masters level etc... it really depends on the institution. In some colleges you may need to only drop in once a month or for short concentrated periods with months in-between. You'd obviously need an understanding supervisor willing to do lots over email.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ohyeah wrote:
    The Phd would be broadly in the History/sociology/contp politics area.
    Yuck. :D

But seriously, I've looked at two types, the traditional PhD and a Professional Docrorate, the former being in a technical subject, the latter being in education.

Don't know much about this, so I can't really comment.
    Essentially, yes. Though you would want a failry understanding boss, I would imagine. I was told it would take approx 5-7 years part-time, though again that's for a technical subject.

My prospective supervisor told me that the whole process can be described as reading loads, forming an opinion and writing it down (he makes it sound so easy). So if your job can support this (for example, if you commute on the train/bus) then there shouldn't be a problem.
    In my experince, yes. Though if you have a general area, they may be able to give you direction.
    Yes, I know of people doing that.
    I know these might sound basic to some people, but I am just starting to really think about my options.

I asked the same questions at one stage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ohyeah

Thanks guys for that info.

Just in terms of a grant or funding for the Phd.

I heard that savings are taken into account. Now presently I have some money saved, which I will be spending over Summer with a bit of travelling and making one major purchase. If I have, say over 10,000 in my account, will that mean I will get no funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you're going to do a PHD and have €10,000 in the bank, why are you making big purchases? Surely you should save the money and not risk dropping out of uni because you run out of cash?

John

Advertisement