Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 vs 1.6 (fuel economy and performance)

Options
  • 14-01-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Looking at an Astra now and other than the increased tax is there any significant decrease in fuel economy in getting the 1.6?

From online stats in some cases it looks like the 1.6 can actually be more efficient.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

quarryman wrote:
    Looking at an Astra now and other than the increased tax is there any significant decrease in fuel economy in getting the 1.6?

From online stats in some cases it looks like the 1.6 can actually be more efficient.

I'm not surprised, my car is 1.8 but my soon to be father-in-law has the same car in 1.6 litre. He is only getting slightly better fuel economy over me. The larger engine has less strain on it than the smaller engine when pulling the car.

The only thing is that in Ireland most people automatically think that slightly larger engined cars cost €€€ more to run which effects resale value of the larger engined varients. In other words a 1.6 litre Astra will be harder to shift than a 1.4 litre dispite the fact that annual road tax costs less than €100 more and the price of insurance is generally only marginally more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

bazz26 wrote:
    In other words a 1.6 litre Astra will be harder to shift than a 1.4 litre dispite the fact that annual road tax costs less than €100

Should that read €100 more? I am certainly paying more than that to tax my 1.6 Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

wingnut wrote:
    Should that read €100 more? I am certainly paying more than that to tax my 1.6 Mondeo.

My bad! Yes you are correct. I have edited my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I find the 1.6 and 1.8 Avensis to have similar fuel economy, The 1.8 is better on fuel on the motorway as it doesn't rev as high in 5th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

found the same carina 1.6 compared to my almera 1.4 is much better, carina will get 400-500 mls out of a full tank €50, whareas my almera will be lucky to get 250-300 mls, €40.

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not comparing like with like there Volvoboy, almera may have a smaller tank than Carina

Advertisement