Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skiing in Europe

Options
  • 14-01-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello,

There are 6 of us traveling somewhere in europe to go skiing. we were thinking of Austria, Czech or Slovakia.
    Can anyone who has experience in this kind of thing tell us the cheapest and most fun place to go? We are not to worried about our luxuries but would still like to have some comfert.

We will be going for a week.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

you cant beat austria....never been to czech or slovakia but i have friends who have...the infrastructure isnt there for it really ( lifts, slope grooming etc ). I presume slovakia would be cheapest but the ski conditions wouldnt be great ( as Ive never heard of anyone skiing there) I have a friend who is slovenian and she doesnt recommend skiing in slovenia ...you could get to salzburg and take a train from there to various places...I was in a good few ,some of the bigger places like mayerhoffen , st anton, zell am see are all great for skiiing and nightlife. but you could also just pick a small village with access to a ski range and it will be cheaper for accomadation ( lift pass is a standard price for each region think ).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi,

For skiing in Slovakia check out:

http://www.venda.sk/

There is an English flag on the top right of the screen if you don't understand Slovakian :eek:

I've skied in a place called Jasna. I've never skied anywhere else in Europe so I can't compare. But Slovakia is as cheap as chips.

But be warned there has been no snow over there this year yet!!!! Last year at this time it was -20C. This year its +5C.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Been skiing a good bit for the last 7 years, and we make a point of visiting new places each go.

Infrastructure is important, but currently the cheapest places are in eastern europe with Bulgaria being a popular cheap destination. Understand though that infrastructure tends to make significantly better skiing (snow cannons, better prepared runs). Its hard to find good opinions of the eastern resorts, but Austrian resorts tend to be legendary in terms of recomendations. Its basically their specialty. They have a reputation for expensive which is undeserved. The drinking costs tend to be lower than even Andorran resorts.

For a session we found Soll in the Ski Welt to be fairly hardcore, though the snow has not been good this year. Still the piste operators did a superb job of maintaining skiing conditions this year.

Also the flight connections to Austrian resorts are lovely 1-2 hr drives from Salzburg or Innsbruck. Theres a massive choice of resorts, but I would strictly recommend high altitude resorts if you are going this year (of which there are many). Piste conditions are decent in the high altitude resorts (where its cold enough to run snow cannons).

As an aside the French resorts tend to be pretty good too, and Italy has its own character all itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Guscat

Thanks for all the info.

We decided to go to Soll in Austria. Might try one of the other options next year.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I would urge you to reconsider Soll. There was barely any snow at all there when we arrived, there is going to be little for beginners to do. Theres no slopes for them. Since then there has been no snow and its getting worse:

http://www.skiwelt.at/index.php?l=de&nID=x42fb0e54956f35.02971788

Also check out the cams. Even I was surprised by the amount of snow that had disappeared from Brixen. It was all white when we were there.

9 degrees & 10 degrees. In that heat whatever is left of the snow will likely be gone. Also rain. We skiied in rain last week. A barrel of laughs it was too.

You are going to really really want a higher altitude resort, or there will be no slopes to ski on. Probably Bad Gastein if the Today FM crew haven't booked it all up, you will definately get snow in Kaprun, Obertauern seems to have forgotten that its meant to be a bad snow year. Soll is a great resort, but any snow at all is falling as rain. Unless a miracle happens there won't be snow by the time you get there. Anywhere in the freezing 'sweet spot' can at least run snow cannons and can get periodic fresh snow, and they can maintain that snow well into the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

sweeden all the way. For shear cold and hospitality. Plus they all speak engleska. Salen in the north is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd endorse austria too, but Czech skiing isn't bad if you are on a tight budget. Research Spindleruv Myln - a lift pass there for 6 days is just €113 and instructor prices are low - you'll get one between 6 of you for very little.

Accomodation is very cheap.
    They have snow at the moment. Spindl (as its shortened to) is about 3hrs from Prague by bus.

linkies:

http://www.skiarealspindl.cz/index.php?lang=3&ro=1

I usually stay here ...
    http://www.orea.cz/default.aspx?section=20089&hotel=1&catalog=11&catitem=1539
    10min skibus to the lifts -stops outside hotel. About €35-40 a night for two sharing (thats room price including breakfast for two people!).

Other accomodation here
    http://www.spmlyn.com/index.php?akce=indexdetail&uziv_id=ubhotelce

Advertisement