Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with dutch TVs

Options
  • 14-01-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have 2 TVs that were bought in holland. I plug them in here in ireland and auto tune them, the picture is perfect but the sound is bad. I try to fine tune the channels to improve the sound but it doesnt get any better. any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dutch tv's work off a different sound system to what we have here in Ireland. or so i am led to believe. although most of Europe uses PAL, there are different types of PAL. i am sure someone will be along to either agree with me or correct me

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As Mossy said, the sound carrier freq varies in different parts of Europe.

I found this on Wikipedia
    On RF (i.e via a Modulator or TV Aerial) the difference between I, D/K and B/G is audio. These use different audio subcarriers, so with mismatch on Modulator Settings or an imported TV there will be perfectly normal Colour Video, but possibly no audio. Some TVs and VHS tuners have multiple filters in parallel or switched for the 6 MHz, 5.5 MHz, 6.5 MHz or 4.5 MHz sound carriers. Nicam is an additional 6.5 MHz offset carrier carrying stereo digitally, on 6.0 MHz PAL I systems. Germany particularly uses two separate FM sound carriers on PAL B/G.

Is it not possible to change the audio carrier on your TV's? See if it can be changed in the tuning menu to "I" or "PAL I"

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I see you've another thread running in Home Entertainment board where you also got your answer, so this one is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement