Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolcotts, Clonard Wexford?

Options
  • 14-01-2007 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Im originally from further north in Wexford but im moving back home after over 10 yrs abroad. Wexford town appeals for various reasons, Coolcotts, Clonard / Cromwells fort are areas that have caught the eye.
    Anyone care to give me the lowdown on them and other areas in general?
    Im married with two preteen kids, high infants and 4th class so the priorities are good friendly schools and a friendly safe area to bring up kids, ideally with lots of other families around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I think ive gotten my answer :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jwePNlR7s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Murtinho wrote:
    I think ive gotten my answer :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jwePNlR7s

lol, i know the guys in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Coolcotts is good, they have a Gaelscoil there that has grown from a couple of portakabins to a large brick building and the area is safe for kids. A new shopping centre is planned along with other amenities, at the moment there are a couple of shops and a takeaway.

Clonard consists of huge estates with very little infrastructure such as shops and cafes/restaurants plus more estates are going up all the time.

Cromellsfort ditto, maze-like estates you would get lost in and feck all shops, although the new Tesco Centre (supermarket, petrol station, cafe etc along with car parking) is scheduled to open at the bottom of the road in the spring so that should take care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

RadioRetro wrote:
    Coolcotts is good, they have a Gaelscoil there that has grown from a couple of portakabins to a large brick building and the area is safe for kids. A new shopping centre is planned along with other amenities, at the moment there are a couple of shops and a takeaway.

Clonard consists of huge estates with very little infrastructure such as shops and cafes/restaurants plus more estates are going up all the time.

Cromellsfort ditto, maze-like estates you would get lost in and feck all shops, although the new Tesco Centre (supermarket, petrol station, cafe etc along with car parking) is scheduled to open at the bottom of the road in the spring so that should take care of that.

Ta for that, Coolcotts seems like the best bet. My son is 11 and hasnt a word of irish and at that age he wont have to do irish in school so i cant send him to gaelscoil but im considering sending my 6 yr old daughter, problem is that she's allready bilingual and id hate for her to loose her swedish, ill have to think about it.

Any other areas around wexford im missing, we want to be in an estate, around other families, are there other areas further out or any more closer to town that arnt too rowdy?

Clonard Village is a massive new development out the New Line Road just before the Whitford Hotel, good reports about it. It has some shops and stuff and there's a retail estate next door with a load of DIY and white/brown goods stores including Joyces, who used to be in the Main Street. It also has a KFC, but stay away from that! Just a couple of minute's drive into the town centre.

There are new estates going up on Whiterock Hill (Bishopswater is at its foot, as is St.Joseph's National School, a fairly new building so up to date).

The Faythe towards the southern end of town is a close-knit community with its own primary school and the shops in the town centre a just a short walk away, and it has its own supermarket at the southern end that is fiarly cheap and has a wide range of groceries (and a cheapish off licence!). Ditto the estates of Bishopswater, Kennedy Park and Corish Park. The new Tesco is down the street from Bishopswater and Pettitt's supermaket is close to the two latter, as is the CBS primary/secondary school, while the Presentation girls secondary school is a little further, along with St.Peter's College boys secondary.

Just so you know what houses can cost, go to JP Delaney's and Kehoe's. Also try C&N Properties plus there are plenty of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

RadioRetro wrote:
    Clonard Village is a massive new development out the New Line Road just before the Whitford Hotel, good reports about it. It has some shops and stuff and there's a retail estate next door with a load of DIY and white/brown goods stores including Joyces, who used to be in the Main Street. It also has a KFC, but stay away from that! Just a couple of minute's drive into the town centre.

There are new estates going up on Whiterock Hill (Bishopswater is at its foot, as is St.Joseph's National School, a fairly new building so up to date).

The Faythe towards the southern end of town is a close-knit community with its own primary school and the shops in the town centre a just a short walk away, and it has its own supermarket at the southern end that is fiarly cheap and has a wide range of groceries (and a cheapish off licence!). Ditto the estates of Bishopswater, Kennedy Park and Corish Park. The new Tesco is down the street from Bishopswater and Pettitt's supermaket is close to the two latter, as is the CBS primary/secondary school, while the Presentation girls secondary school is a little further, along with St.Peter's College boys secondary.

Just so you know what houses can cost, go to JP Delaney's and Kehoe's. Also try C&N Properties plus there are plenty of others.

I used to live in the Faythe, it is fairly close knit I suppose - but still full of grumpy old ladies :P

Dead on, and there's another one just moved in around the corner, me Ma! :D

Advertisement