Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

diagnostic equipment

Options
  • 13-01-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest some good diagnostic equipment to get a (nearly qualified) mechanic started?
    I was looking at an autodata cd (about €3/400) and maybe some sort of oscilloscope/multimeter.
    I was looking at the info on the autodata cd in college and it is a fountain of diagnostic information - a good multimeter along with this would go a long way, but an oscilloscope would be ideal.
    My budget would be about €1000 give or take a few!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 gowger

I got an OBD2 diagnostic cable off ebay for €25. It's for Vw/audi and works with VAG-COM and the VW/audi software. It'll read all the engine sensors and clear error codes and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of trouble shotting a scope can be quite handy... the problem is that any protable model scope can cost quite a bit.. Fluke have a range of scope meters which are both a multi meter + osciliscope but the last time i looked at these they were about 2K. Tectronics have some protable scopes ( TDS730 ) but it comes in at about 3K, but it's nice as it has an internal battery pack, so is completely portable.

If you don't need to be portable, Tectronics have a range of desktop LCD scopes that come in around €1K, look up TDS200 / 210...

There's is another option, as you won't need to take really percise measurements, just to see what's happening, there's a really cheap hand held scope from Vellman, maplin sell them for < €150. It's only a single channel. The sample rate isn't great, and the resolution isn't amazing, but they'll still show you what's happening...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=vellman%20scope&ModuleNo=32611&doy=13m1

The one thing i would recomend you buying is a good DC clamp meter to measure current... these make trouble shooting charing / starting circuits so easy.. should be able to pick one up for less than €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I have a laptop set aside for autodata, so setting up a scope on it shouldn't be any hassle. What kinda specs on the scope should I be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi Land9,

It's good to see someone with enough of an interest to spend time and money. That is something that is very lacking in the motor trade today. I hope your employer appreciates you. Maybe he would even help by buying some equipment.

Your budget will not buy very much but its a start.

There is a cheaper option than Autodata. There is also a website that is subscription based but is very good value. I will PM you the details.
    VagCom, as mentioned is very good. The best on all VAG cars and includes an EOBD reader. The cables on ebay are designed to work with cracked versions of the software so you would be better with a genuine one.

One thing that will give you a major advantage is to learn (and apply) Ohms law along with the use of an oscilloscope. Dilbert is correct about the usefullness of Amps to properly see what is happening in a circuit but I would look at Amp clamps that can be used to display the traces on scope.
    If you want to look at ignition and injector traces the scope must be able to display 400v. Google for "picoscope". If you could find a used one it would fit the bill for you. Also Crypton do a range of handheld scopes that are good value and tend to be cheap secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your looking for a current probe for a scope or a clamp meter, make sure it's a hall-effect one, hence it can measure DC currents.. they are really handy, as you don't have to disconnect any of the circuit to take measurements, once you can clip it around one of the conductors ( not both, as there'll be no net magnetic flux ) ;)

As Mr. Diagnostic said current probes & a scope are an excellent way of checking current to fuel injectors ect... The humble DC clamp meter can be handy too to make sure the altenator is charging the battery ect..

• Advertisement
Advertisement