Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ TV hurts

Options
  • 13-01-2007 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

NZ tv has to one of the worst I have ever watched.
    Ad breaks every few minutes. A night or two ago out of boredom I checked my watch when the breaks came. The first arrived after 7 minutes after the show started. The break was almost 3.5min. Next break was in 11min, last about the same duration. It makes watching your favourite shows painful.

Don't get me started on the regional ads :mad:

Grrrrrrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

At least there's something to watch in between the ads. Ever tried to watch Japanese TV? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Turkish tv takes the piss as far as adverts are concerned. they mas aswell be listed in the schedules

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The only decent thing about NZ adverts is the ones aimed at drink driving. Faily good and hard hitting. Everything else is pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

American telleh, case closed. I'm going to get myself a Tivo shortly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I love the ad breaks on American tw just before the end titles of a program.
    And dont get me started on the tacky ads for car showrooms, they remind me of those old menswear shop ads on utv, you know the ones with a voiceover to a picture of the front of the shop. :D

• Advertisement

Like the ads they stil show in local cinemas *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

At least NZ does have a fairly decent FTA music station (C4). I find it amusing that the countries biggest tv celebrities are the newsreaders though.

C4 is terrible. They show the same music videos over and over. Worse than MTV.

The only good thing that channel had was Family Guy every week night at 7pm. Now they have changed to What ever the name of the cartoon is that the Beavis and Butthead guys did.
    Its ok, but no Family Guy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well there's one thing said for EU regulation - they dictate the amount of ads allowed in an hour slot on TV. I think the rules allow for shows to bulk up on ads or do a few other tricks but mostly it should prevent a US situation.

Maybe a good reason for Turkey to join..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Rabies wrote:
    Now they have changed to What ever the name of the cartoon is that the Beavis and Butthead guys did.

King Of The Hill?

• Advertisement

Yup, thanks. The auld brain doesn't work too well at this hour of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ruu wrote:
    American telleh, case closed. I'm going to get myself a Tivo shortly. :)
    Doesn't the american TIVO have software to stop you from FF the ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Rabies wrote:
    C4 is terrible. They show the same music videos over and over. Worse than MTV.

Terrible in compared to what though? I think it's great that the country has a free youth/music channel. It gives up and coming bands a reason to make a video for their singles. Irish tv, in comparison, has failed Irish music. The nearest it came to a decent music show was No Disco, which was was duly scrapped. I don't think you can compare C4 with MTV. C4 is terrestrial free to air, MTV is a worldwide big name satellite/cable network.

Also, you will notice there is no tv licence in NZ. The stations have to rely solely on tv advertising for revenue, which may be a reason for the extra ads.

radioman wrote:
    Also, you will notice there is no tv licence in NZ. The stations have to rely solely on tv advertising for revenue, which may be a reason for the extra ads.
    All that is changing soon. TVNZ are moving to digital. No more regional ads. The station expects revenue to be down NZ$80m when it kicks in.

NZ and Ireland have a similar population size (i think). Maybe RTE should look at regional ads to boost revenue. An alternative to increasing the tv license.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Spanish TV is brutal. Don't think of the word "Schedule"...think of a time listed in a schedule as "The earliest possible time the program might start at, but will almost certainly be a large random number of minutes later".

The ad breaks are interminably long (even if they are governed by EU law, I'm sure they're using whatever the maximum is), but sometimes (and here is the exact opposite (which is equally annoying)) they start to show program / film *straight after* the previous one ends (so you've no time to make a cuppa / have a slash etc!)

RTE are saints in comparison!

Advertisement