Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sopranos Series 6 A Let Down

Options
  • 12-01-2007 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Does anyone share my opinion?

*SPOILERS*

I think it was a very poor season, having been a major enthusiast of the show since it (AMAZING) first season...

I thought the first third seasons were outstanding, the second and fourth were also excellent despite certain weak spots, and the fifth, while predictable and underdeveloped (eg in the case of Tony Blundetto who was very underused and whose death was OBVIOUS), kept the trend for excellence.

However the sixth was, in my opinion, the worst. It started with Tony being shot. Anyone whos been watching from the get-go knew that within 3-4 episodes, he'd have recovered to full health. So, we just had to wait those boring few episodes out. During the season the main storylines were too loose and underdeveloped. Some were just BORING (eg in the case of Carmela's building development), while many had been done before - they have been going in circles with the Tony/Phil conflict for what seems like YEARS (even though its only two seasons) and after 12 years of no development (they meet - they quarrel - they resolve, time after time) the ending is a big dissapointment. Phil gets heart troubles and Tony advises him to get out. BORING.....

I guess the main event of the sixth season was what happened to Vito, but the problem was they never gave us any big reason to like Vito. We are expected to pity this character yet we see him shooting a civilian in the head to escape police detection after he's crashed into his vehicle? Also, they underused many characters, for example Meadow, AJ, Melfi, Janice.... Are these characters doomed to a fate of one story a season?

I think they should have resolved the Johnny Sack/Phil situation twelve episodes ago, and given us something interesting to watch. And as for Tony getting shot in the opener? A helpless ploy to bring in new viewers...

But what about us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

meh

i enjoyed it. even the opening episodes. with the Sopranos now being so poor for you you will be glad to know only one season is left and then it is finished forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

This is the final season isn't it? Its just not finished yet....

Yeah I agree its not as good as the earlier ones, but its still excellent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Mossy Monk wrote:
    meh

i enjoyed it. even the opening episodes. with the Sopranos now being so poor for you you will be glad to know only one season is left and then it is finished forever

Or one 'half' season with 8 episodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Michael Daly is that you? Holy sh*t! I was wondering if any other Dungarvan natives use this site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

md99 wrote:
    Or one 'half' season with 8 episodes

its nine episodes now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Yeah the 6th wasnt the greatest. The whole Tony be shot seemed a bit of a cop out.

Its a slight criticisim but fantastic T.V all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Yeah the 6th wasnt the greatest. The whole Tony be shot seemed a bit of a cop out.

Its a slight criticisim but fantastic T.V all round.

Indeed it was a cop out... especially as it has been done before eg. with Christopher in series 2. We knew even then what the outcome would be.

It did have some good moments, mind, just not up to the standard we've come to expect IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

The excuse for it being rubbishy is that it's a build up to the final season...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

OFDM wrote:
    The excuse for it being rubbishy is that it's a build up to the final season...

Yeah that's what I figured - it was laying the groundwork for all the action in the final few episodes.

Regarding the Vito storyline; the whole point of it was that we had no reason to like Vito. He had been horrible to Finn after he saw him giving the blow-job to some randomer; beyond that he'd just been a peripheral character whose only notable characteristic was his weight.

He was put in the situation where he had to go on the run in Series 6, so naturally the viewer would feel a bit of sympathy for him, but even then he was still a horrible guy:
    running off on the fireman who was in love with him, shooting dead that guy whose car he ran into
    . I think the writers were just playing on that, seeing how much sympathy you could have for a guy in such a tough situation but who remained a very dislikeable character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

IMO it wasn't the best. A strange sorta season. I'm guessing as well that its only a build up to the last few episodes. But having said that it only looks bad due to the massive high standard it had kept up to that. It was still the best thing on television. I disagree about season five though I really liked it. It had the "you can't change what you are" theme going through it with both the Tonys. And the ending where the arrested Johnny Sac was fantastic and not the least bit predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I thought it was kind of **** the way Vito went from being a minor character in past seasons to a major character and the focus of season 6. They should have used someone like Chris or Silvo, at least that way people would have cared.

Advertisement