Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks to Dublin!

Options
  • 12-01-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

would just like to say, thanks to the dublin market for leading me to where I am today. If it was not for the Dublin market being so expensive too buy property, I would of never jumped on a plane and relocated overseas.

So, not entirely sure who to thank, the government, the people, foreign investment, ah fxck knows, just actually glad I made the decision to pull the plug on dublin, can you guess where I am yet, so, wait for it..........

drum roll.....

the cayman islands !

living in paradise, earning tax free money, sweet !

also still love this website, keep up the good work guys !

perhaps I might come back after a few years, and walk into a nice city centre pad after all the tax free money i have saved up -or not ! hmmm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

What industry you working in IT, Finance. Is there good diamonds to be earned in the Caymans. How will you manage without the daily gridlock, the 40 shades of grey weather, the jocular schemozzling on O'Connell street on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'd be interested to know what the Caymans is like to work in. Was it easy getting a job out there (i.e. visas etc)? Is it expensive to live there?

Have you gotten island fever yet? (i.e. island too small etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hey thanks for leaving and leaving more for the rest of us. Noble.

When did you head, and if you had invested how much more would it be worth now?

You are the first person I have heard of who ended up in the Caymans because he couldn't afford property!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

tbh wrote:
    hey thanks for leaving and leaving more for the rest of us. Noble.

tbh is not bitter - honestly! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭action jackson

in answer to your questions...

it is not that i couldn't afford property, in fact i had a pretty good salary, i worked for a bank in ifsc - i just could not afford to live somewhere nice !
    i refused to live in a craphole in dublin somewhere, with dogs barking (just read funny post about that!) and be dependent on the bad transport infrastructure.

been here for 8 months, not got island fever yet, even stayed here for xmas, hard to leave ! had nice dinner with another pal from dublin and a few other expats.

jobs and visas are a challenge, but if you persevere, you should get something, main jobs would obviously be finance, also I.T. and legal work. in fact all my friends here are either lawyers, legal secretaries, bankers and IT folk !
    PM me if you want names of recruitment agencies, it is the least i can do for fellow country men and women who helped me get here !

cheers,

action

i refused to live in a craphole in dublin somewhere, with dogs barking and be dependent on the bad transport infrastructure.

I hear ya.

But the Cayman's seems a bit drastic. Did you never hear of Cork? ;)

from what i hear immigration in cork is pretty tough also, being a separate republic and all, so caymans was six of one, half a dozen of the other !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

At da end o da day boy, you'd have to saay Caymans would be hot faavourites to win Liam liike,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whats hurricane season like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Guinness any good? How much for a bag of tayto cheese & onion?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wyndham wrote:
    Guinness any good? How much for a bag of tayto cheese & onion?

I think the 24 packs of cheese and onion which are a best seller at Dublin Airport may possibly hint at the answer to your question....... The Guinness (when you can get it) is a higher alcohol version though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good man yer self , Grand Cayman is a lovely spot.

7 mile beach plain white sand, 15 metres underwater straight visibility , Sh*t hot weather. I used to think it was bl**dy pricey. However by dublin prtices now it should be ok

Answer me this how much is a bottle of Heineken or Budweiser?

Excellent re-location choice my good man - The great thing about the Caymans is you could work inb macdonalds for two years come home and buy one . I commend anyone who has taken the risk to see what lies beyond our shores.

However me thinks you can only stay as long as your work visa. Or you marry someone called Abanks ?

about 3.50 cayman dollars for beer, which is the same as euro

hurricane season was not bad, never got hit, although was quite cloudly and did rain heavily the odd time. always warm though and it was still very sunny.

guinness here is ok, but only in one pub - the triple crown, a sort of irish and british pub rolled into one. there also is an irish bar that sells guinness, but it is that bad i wouldn't serve it to a dog ! minging !

oh yes, and you could get status if you married a local or someone called Ebanks or Bodden, as they are the most common surnames on island. is a few white folk with the same name, but they are the original settlers who's slaves inherited their masters names ! a bit of history ! although nothing new there, as the same thing happened in the rest of the caribbean and the united states. apparently my surname is one of top in usa for african americans !

so zambia 232, i see you are in belfast, what you do there ? that is where i am from ! (originally) i am guessing you are an accountant or solicitor ? on the basis you lived here before and most people are here !

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Hey, I am currently looking to relocate to caymans.

Would you mind pm me with recruitment agencies and also, if i can be a bit cheeky, how many years you had in funds before relocating? (im assuming funds)

really wanna head over, but since I only have a year experience I'm not sure if it would be worth it ($) and if I would be considered.

Another question, do you head to Miami / Cuba much? is it easy?

Did you start on a 6 month contract or 1 year or what? how does that work?

And finally, do you get annual pay rises or do you sign your contract and thats it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Move to a soulless backwater to live amongst a community of dorks and shysters-not for me man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

so zambia 232, i see you are in belfast, what you do there ? that is where i am from ! (originally)
    Shouldn't you really be thanking Belfast for your newly found good fortune?
    Dublin was just a stepping stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hey OP, you're welcome. Meanwhile you're welcome to come out for a pint. Actually you won't be able to.

Shouldn't you really be thanking Belfast for your newly found good fortune?
    Dublin was just a stepping stone...

I have several stepping stones ....besides where is my new good fortune ? Any money made of Dublin gets sunk into belfast. Property rose here by 44 % on average last year. So I missed that boat (No less than 3 house fell through), no use crying of split property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Advertisement

living in paradise, earning tax free money, sweet !

perhaps I might come back after a few years, and walk into a nice city centre pad after all the tax free money i have saved up -or not ! hmmm
    That's your good fortune right? Isn't that the purpose of the thread?, to thank Dublin (although it probably should be Belfast) for being so terrible that you left? Why you're continuing to check back via this forum, lord knows.
    Property rose here by 44 % on average last year. So I missed that boat (No less than 3 house fell through), no use crying of split property.
    Oh dear, no use crying indeed. As long as you learn from your mistakes, you surely won't repeat them again ;)

remove

That's your good fortune right? Isn't that the purpose of the thread?, to thank Dublin (although it probably should be Belfast) for being so terrible that you left? Why you're continuing to check back via this forum, lord knows.

Oh dear, no use crying indeed. As long as you learn from your mistakes, you surely won't repeat them again ;)

This is a load of misquoting , plus what mistake did I make ?

Sigh, I give up. post deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys, usual forum rules apply- feel free to attack the post, but not the poster. Anyone breaking this rule will be banned from this forum.

S.

Advertisement