Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade In Value - Picnic vs 325 SE

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

My friends mom ordered a new E92 325 coupe today, but the dealer started at 7.5k for her 00 Picnic, in reasonably good nick and serviced properly...she eventually got 9 for it...considering spending nigh on €70k, wouldn't you think a dealer would have given a better price.

Similar to this one but with about 30 k more on the clock. There's a huge market for these cars...was she "done"

(Aside the 325 was chosen as there's more rear legroom shown in the brochure than the C- Class coupe...is she deluding herself. I know there was none in the E46 coupe)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, we sold a 1-owner 00 Scenic, and were lucky to get 5700 for it..........the Toyota is worth more, certainly, but not afaik, the amount Kenny's are looking for it.....time will tell.....

If you're worried about the hit you're taking on the the Toyota, it's nothing compared to the hit you're going to take on the 3-series......so why aren't you worried about that ?

The only thing I'd comment on, is the choice of 325.........buying that petrol model will cost an absolute fortune in depreciation .......I advertised a 2.5 525Diesel estate here a few days ago, and it got traded in yesterday for.....12k. It was 01 reg. And that's a diesel. You will take an absolute bath on the 325 petrol. If you have to buy one, buy the 2.0 diesel.

The 525d Touring, new, is Eur64900. That's a 52000 loss in 5 years, that's 10k/year, that's 800 a month, comletely lost, down the drain.

Wanna look at that 325 deal again? I'd, really, really, advise it.......................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The 325 is now the smallest engine in the Coupe, diesels are 330 and 335.

They won't worry about deprecitation the other car is an S350 which is a bit of a barge if you ask me....but nice and comfortable on long journeys

What about the rear legroom in the coupe???

She just asked my opinion, the deal is done, but I do think a bit more than 9 was warranted....I wouldn't have bought a BMW in the 1st place, I can't wait 'til my friend gets to drive it!!!! he's currently taking lessons in the Picnic....methinks a 3rd car is on the way!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    My friends mom ordered a new E92 325 coupe today, but the dealer started at 7.5k for her 00 Picnic, in reasonably good nick and serviced properly...she eventually got 9 for it...considering spending nigh on €70k, wouldn't you think a dealer would have given a better price.

Similar to this one but with about 30 k more on the clock. There's a huge market for these cars...was she "done"

(Aside the 325 was chosen as there's more rear legroom shown in the brochure than the C- Class coupe...is she deluding herself. I know there was none in the E46 coupe)

She should have sold the Picnic privately and walked in to the BMW dealer with cash.

Did she get a price from another dealer? If I was spending €70k on a car you can put money on it I would shop around for a better deal. It amazes me why people who are spending huge amounts of money on cars don't shop around for a better price. This is why some dealers pull silly figures from the sky at this time of year. They know that they will catch someone as money is cheap these days and there seems to be too much of it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Rear legroom is surprisingly good in the E92. At the launch, I sat in the front of one and adjusted the driver's seat to suit me (5'11"), then climbed in the back. There was still a couple of inches between my knees and the seat back. Headroom wasn't too bad either but that has a lot to do with sitting right down into the back seats.

Seemingly BMW have made good use of the extra bit of room they freed up by ditching the spare tyre and fitting run-flats.

No experience of the Merc coupé so I can't make any comparison there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,693 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

galwaytt wrote:
    Well, we sold a 1-owner 00 Scenic, and were lucky to get 5700 for it..........the Toyota is worth more, certainly, but not afaik, the amount Kenny's are looking for it.....time will tell.....

If you're worried about the hit you're taking on the the Toyota, it's nothing compared to the hit you're going to take on the 3-series......so why aren't you worried about that ?

The only thing I'd comment on, is the choice of 325.........buying that petrol model will cost an absolute fortune in depreciation .......I advertised a 2.5 525Diesel estate here a few days ago, and it got traded in yesterday for.....12k. It was 01 reg. And that's a diesel. You will take an absolute bath on the 325 petrol. If you have to buy one, buy the 2.0 diesel.

The 525d Touring, new, is Eur64900. That's a 52000 loss in 5 years, that's 10k/year, that's 800 a month, comletely lost, down the drain.

Wanna look at that 325 deal again? I'd, really, really, advise it.......................

you're off the mark there buddy, look at the 325 coupes on carzone now and tell me they dont hold their value. the reason you got hit was twofold:

a) its an estate and b) a 5 series which loses value quicker than the equivalent 3.

BMWs bigger than the 1 series now come with a min engine size of 1.9 litre the extra .6 wont make much differnece to someone who wants a 'proper' bmw with a 6cyl engine

• Advertisement

milltown wrote:
    Rear legroom is surprisingly good in the E92. At the launch, I sat in the front of one and adjusted the driver's seat to suit me (5'11"), then climbed in the back. There was still a couple of inches between my knees and the seat back. Headroom wasn't too bad either but that has a lot to do with sitting right down into the back seats.

The three teenagers in this particular family are all 6' + so I suppose there'll be some scrambling for the front seat. I have a sneaking impression the 3 will be snatched and she'll have the S-Class dumped on her (well I say dumped....)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cyrus wrote:
    you're off the mark there buddy, look at the 325 coupes on carzone now and tell me they dont hold their value. the reason you got hit was twofold:

a) its an estate and b) a 5 series which loses value quicker than the equivalent 3.

BMWs bigger than the 1 series now come with a min engine size of 1.9 litre the extra .6 wont make much differnece to someone who wants a 'proper' bmw with a 6cyl engine

no, I don't think I am.

First, an estate BeeEmm cost more than a saloon, private or s/hand, and they're hard to find, so I don't think that's a factor.
    Secondly, there may be a difference between 3- and 5- series rates of depreciation (Unkel or Junkyard might c hime in here..), but it's engine size more than anything that'd affect it's desirability. And .6 of a litre, in p.a. tax, is a lot. A 1.9 will cost you 500 approx, p.a. The 2.5 will cost you about 821 p.a. On a new car, you might not think that worth considering - but, the day you buy is the day you sell, remember...- and when the car is a few years old, you'll find it a big factor in it's "saleability". Not forgetting that 2.5 petrol is going to be expensive to run in the first place. There was a beautiful 2.5 Tipronic coupe, w/full leather and everything, here in a dealer's for.........9 months???

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    no, I don't think I am.
    There was a beautiful 2.5 Tipronic coupe, w/full leather and everything, here in a dealer's for.........9 months???

Notice how little the saloons depreciate though

As well as that the E46 ci was available from 1.8. 2.5 is the base engine in the E92 je desto... if you want an E92 coupe 2.5 is the smalles engine you're going to find, so it'll be more desirable than any of the others. This one will have all bells whistles and symphonies

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely there's a straight deal discount on the BMW of about 4 grand. so effectively they're buying the Picnic for a little over 3 grand......

colm_mcm wrote:
    surely there's a straight deal discount on the BMW of about 4 grand. so effectively they're buying the Picnic for a little over 3 grand......

Whoa...I thought that she was given a below par value, but not that bad

• Advertisement

oh dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninty9er wrote:

Depreciation on any BMW is simply vicious! You don't buy one as a sensible investment. You buy a Corolla D4d for that.

They probably hold a far greater % of their value than, say, a Mondeo... but the numbers are very big to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote:
    I doubt it. The most I can get on a 320dSE with €10k of options is €2,000ish. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of profit in them, but that's all the discount any of the dealers I tried will give.

this is a used car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

ninty9er wrote:

As well as that the E46 ci was available from 1.8. 2.5 is the base engine in the E92 je desto... if you want an E92 coupe 2.5 is the smalles engine you're going to find, so it'll be more desirable than any of the others. This one will have all bells whistles and symphonies

The 320 coupe will be out this year - there'll be a lot more of the coupes on the road once it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote:
    this is a used car.
    I don't think so, the OP's friends mother is trading the Picnic in against a new E92 325i.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anan1 wrote:
    I doubt it. The most I can get on a 320dSE with €10k of options is €2,000ish. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of profit in them, but that's all the discount any of the dealers I tried will give.

A 320d SE is about 50, 400 including Starter Pack costs and Delivery. Add 10k, that gives you 60.5k. After giving you 2000 off, there's about 600 left over for the Dealer. In BMW there aren't the huge profits the posters on this thread would have you believe.

Cyrus wrote:

The new 316 is a 4 cylinder 1.6 Litre Engine FYI.

Anan1 wrote:
    I don't think so, the OP's friends mother is trading the Picnic in against a new E92 325i.

sorry misread the bit about "similar to this one but with 30k more" - about the trade in.

Anyway, point is, she got ripped of IMHO

colm_mcm wrote:
    Anyway, point is, she got ripped of IMHO

Thought so. must go back and tell her:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    The new 316 is a 4 cylinder 1.6 Litre Engine FYI.

god help anyone who buys it

probably another ireland exclusive like the 1.4 litre octavia :rolleyes:

Anyway theres f all discount on the e92, why, because the dealers will find someone else to pay full price, and anyone with any sense knows your going to get a bad deal on a trade in no matter what you have

moral of the story sell privately and chances are you'll be able to haggle a better discount.

@kdevitt is the new 320 still a 6cyl 2.2 or will it be a 4cyl 2 litre?

Cyrus wrote:
    god help anyone who buys it

The 1.6 316 is actually the same horspower as the outgoing 1.8 316, and qualifies for less road tax. It's also a lighter car mated to a six speed box, so the performance is better.
    Cyrus wrote:
    Anyway theres f all discount on the e92, why, because the dealers will find someone else to pay full price, and anyone with any sense knows your going to get a bad deal on a trade in no matter what you have

Don't blame the Dealers, this is from the Distrubutors and Manufacturers. I believe I saw in this Wednesday's Motoring Suppliment in the Times that Citroen are announcing no discount. This is something FIAT have been doing for years with their Open Book policy.
    Cyrus wrote:
    moral of the story sell privately and chances are you'll be able to haggle a better discount.

That's a given no matter what you're buying, FIAT or Ferrari.
    Cyrus wrote:

All e90 and e92 BMWs are only 6 cylinder, once the displacement reaches 2.5 Litres.

Cyrus wrote:

It'll be a 4 cylinder - just like the E90 320, its the replacement for the 318ci

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What happened to the good old days when a 316i was a 1.6, a 318i was a 1.8 and a 320i was a 2.0i? Recently we have a 316i which is 1.8, a 318i which is 1.9/2.0? a 318d which is 2.0 and a 320i which is a 2.2.

bazz26 wrote:
    What happened to the good old days when a 316i was a 1.6, a 318i was a 1.8 and a 320i was a 2.0i? Recently we have a 316i which is 1.8, a 318i which is 1.9/2.0? a 318d which is 2.0 and a 320i which is a 2.2.

Well, now we have a 316 that's a 1.6, a 318 that's a 2 Litre, a 320 which is a 2 Litre with more power, a 320si which is a 2 Litre with even more power, a 325 that's a 2.5 Litre, a 330 that's a 3 Litre, and a 335 which is a twin turbo 3 litre. This of couse is all Petrol. In Diesel we have a 318 which is a 2 litre, a 320 which is a 2 Litre with more Power, a 325 which is a 3 Litre detuned, a 330 which is a 3 Litre plant, and a 335, which is a twin turbo stove.

bazz26 wrote:

Those days never existed!! Even the first series (E21) had engine sizes that weren't consistent with the badging, and it continued with the E30, E36, E46 and now the E90 & E92.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As said, there's not much discount buying a new BMW, even for cash. BMWs are very much in demand. As any other commercial entity, BMW strive to maximise profit. And so they should

It still bothers me why they can't keep things simple, i.e. a BMW 316 should be a 3-series with a 1.6 engine imho. Why the hell have a 523 that has a 2.5l straight six engine? It should be called 525

apologies was just talking to them a while ago. got a discout too. Parting with about 57k overall considering the car with the options and tax comes to just shy of 70

ned78 wrote:
    The 1.6 316 is actually the same horspower as the outgoing 1.8 316, and qualifies for less road tax. It's also a lighter car mated to a six speed box, so the performance is better.

point being? hardly going to be a rocket now is it

• Advertisement
Advertisement