Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citreon Xsara X Immobiliser Troubles

Options
  • 11-01-2007 5:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, thought I'd throw this up for the educated folks of boards.

I have a 1.4l Citreon Xsara X 99' 5 door.

She ran fine until one day I hopped in and it wouldn't start. There was a continuous beep indicating that the immobiliser hadn't disengaged when I turned on the ignition. The engine turns over but doesn't start.

Now, the annoying thing about this is that I am not insured on the car anymore and it is not taxed. It's been sitting up the last while. Here's the interesting part, I can go out to the car one day, get it started and drive around the driveway. The next day I try to start it the immobiliser doesn't disengage. So it's an intermittent problem.

The battery has been completely flat and recharged and I still have the problem. It's been to the local Citreon garage twice and seemed to be ok but then went back to it's usual self.

So the catch is that when it does start I'm not insured or taxed to drive it. If I did get insured and taxed it's not guaranteed to start anyway.

Anybody know someone who could come out for a reasonable fee and maybe even just disable the immobiliser completely. It's a great car but I can't even think of selling it till I get this problem fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My mother had a 02. they should be called "Electrical Gremlin" Xsara instead of Citroën

Suppose the dealer charged you nicely to look at it too or had to bee booked in to "have a look"

Never again a Citroën

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the battery of an immobiliser goes flat the system gets out of synch, basicly the transponder and the receiver can't communicate proberly. I have a similair problem, the remote works but not always and certainly not at any distance from the car. The system needs re-synching. Is it Citroen OEM or aftermatket system?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Do you have a spare key to try. If so remember that the system will lock for a few seconds if a faulty key is used so leave it a few mins between attempts.
    If the above does not work then you will need to get it looked at.
    It is possible to bypass the immob but it would probably be easier to get it fixed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

The spare key does the exact same thing.

Nothing seems to work.

It's an OEM immobiliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mechanic1

The aerial which picks up the transponder signal can give trouble. The parts is clipped onto the ignition switch.
    PM me with your location

Slaanesh wrote:
    Right, thought I'd throw this up for the educated folks of boards.

I have a 1.4l Citreon Xsara X 99' 5 door.

She ran fine until one day I hopped in and it wouldn't start. There was a continuous beep indicating that the immobiliser hadn't disengaged when I turned on the ignition. The engine turns over but doesn't start.

Now, the annoying thing about this is that I am not insured on the car anymore and it is not taxed. It's been sitting up the last while. Here's the interesting part, I can go out to the car one day, get it started and drive around the driveway. The next day I try to start it the immobiliser doesn't disengage. So it's an intermittent problem.

The battery has been completely flat and recharged and I still have the problem. It's been to the local Citreon garage twice and seemed to be ok but then went back to it's usual self.

So the catch is that when it does start I'm not insured or taxed to drive it. If I did get insured and taxed it's not guaranteed to start anyway.

Anybody know someone who could come out for a reasonable fee and maybe even just disable the immobiliser completely. It's a great car but I can't even think of selling it till I get this problem fixed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement