Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breaks griding-keep driving?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭

Today on the way home from work my breaks starting to make a grinding noise as I was slowing down/stopping. From looking around on internet I'm guessing this might be to do with brake pads/shoes needing to be replaced.

I'm just wondering if its still safe to drive on them just until I can get the car to the garage.... due to drive back to work in 10 mins and not sure whether to chance it (work is about 6 miles each direction). going to ring the garage now and book it in but guessing it might be after the weekend before they can fix it.

Car is a 02 Renault Clio btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

ah yeah , its fine to drive! The brakes are nearing their end but they are fine.

there is a small bit of metal that is stuck about 3/4 way down the break pad to give that grinding noise so as you know that they need to be chnaged soon. Dont worry , you still have a good bit left on the pads but do get them chnaged soon.

...think of it as the red light that flsahes when youre low on petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

C_Breeze wrote:
    ah yeah , its fine to drive! The brakes are nearing their end but they are fine.

there is a small bit of metal that is stuck about 3/4 way down the break pad to give that grinding noise so as you know that they need to be chnaged soon. Dont worry , you still have a good bit left on the pads but do get them chnaged soon.

Lovely.... thanks for quick response C_Breeze...... am a bit of a typical woman when it comes to cars , so haven't a notion what noises are ok to keep going with and what ones I should stop when I hear them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Get them done ASAP.
    Firstly there not safe. Never heard of this grinding as a warning sound
    Secondly if u keep driving you'll make sh1t of the discs and double the cost of the job.

Get them done quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

C_Breeze wrote:

That is complete baloney, I don't know where that was pulled from. Some brake pads have an wire in them so that when the pad wears down the wire contacts the disc, and so illuminates a warning light.

When it just makes noise it means that the brakes are worn down to the metal. It could be the wheel falling off for all I know, I can't inspect the car so can't comment if it is safe or not.

This means it is dangerous to drive. It could be anything, but sounds like the brakes have been badly neglected.

I might drive it slowly, to someone that will look at it for you, but get someone that knows what they are talking about. Your brakes are very important and can't be neglected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

DanThe wrote:
    That is complete baloney, I don't know where that was pulled from. Some brake pads have an wire in them so that when the pad wears down the wire contacts the disc, and so illuminates a warning light.

When it just makes noise it means that the brakes are worn down to the metal. It could be the wheel falling off for all I know, I can't inspect the car so can't comment if it is safe or not.

This means it is dangerous to drive. It could be anything, but sounds like the brakes have been badly neglected.

I might drive it slowly, to someone that will look at it for you, but get someone that knows what they are talking about. Your brakes are very important and can't be neglected.

No , That is complete Baloney .

You think every car has a brake pad warning light ?? LOL - NO.

And barke pads with wires(electrical i assume you mean) that trigger off warning lights??... WTF??? who told u this????

The only wire brake pads have is the one towards the bottom of the pad that causes a screeching or grinding sound to warn you they need to be chnaged soon.

No offence but do you know what a brake pad even looks like?? and out of curiosity how many times have u chnaged brake pads on a car??

Dont go calling knowledgeable advice "balony "please.

OP ... your fine dont, worry. - but do change them soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

DanThe wrote:
    Some brake pads have an wire in them so that when the pad wears down the wire contacts the disc, and so illuminates a warning light.

True ,some brake pads do have a sense wire , some (few) have one corner of the metal backing bent towards the disc so it makes a small grinding noise ( followed by heavy grinding a few days later ) and some have a spring steel strip riveted to the pad that touches the disc and makes a screeching noise just before the pad is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ya, you're OK, but if the grinding is fairly loud then you're a bit past the worn phase of the pad! You're fine for a few miles though, keep extra distance from the car in front to avoid over use of them till the pads are replaced, cause if they're badly worn they score the disk.
    Be careful when the new pads are fitted, you need to bed them in for a good few miles before they're back. For the first few attempts at braking after replacement you'll feel like they greased the pads on you!! :)

I don't like posting a reply that has nothing to do with the OPs situation, But

@ C_Breeze

QUOTE " Dont go calling knowledgeable advice "balony "please." :D:D

I said SOME brake pads have warning light activated by an electrical wire embeded in the pad material. It is common enough, supprised you haven't seen it yet.

By the way, I have changed plenty of pads. I can't see how that helps the OP though.

Your "knowledgeable" reply speaks for itself, I am amazed at your self belief, Be well.

PS whats a barke pad?

Earliest garage can do it for me will be Tues. Won't be driving the car much over next few days anyway. Will try to maybe bring it somewhere tomorrow to have a quick look tomorrow if I can.

The noise was gone on my drive back to work and home again this evening, well heard it maybe once or twice, but much quieter than it was the first time I heard it and not for as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

Grinding is normally caused by the backing plate from the brake pad rubbing off the disc. This will cut grooves in the disc in record time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The pads don't necessarily have to have the little metal tabs as all pads do not come with these attached - if so, you're getting metal on metal contact with the back of the brake pad and the brake disc. If you drive like this for too long, you'll end up scoring the disc, which will need renewing (and can be costly)

maidhc wrote:
    Grinding is normally caused by the backing plate from the brake pad rubbing off the disc. This will cut grooves in the disc in record time.

Anyone any idea how much that will cost to fix?
    Would advance pitstop or one of those type places be able to do that or is it only a garage job? I know they're dearer but if I really need to get it fixed fast that might be only option as mechanic can't take it until Tues.

It should be around 30 to 50 Euro for the pads and around the same for fitting, It depends on the garage etc,
    but should be under 100 Euro for the lot

EDIT If it needs discs aswell its probably another 100 Euro on the bill

I think pitstop or one of those places could do it but a garage might be best in the long run. Maybe the garage you have it booked in to can have a two minute look at it and put your mind to rest untill Tuesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

C_Breeze wrote:
    And barke pads with wires(electrical i assume you mean) that trigger off warning lights??... WTF??? who told u this????

You've obviously never worked on a modern car.
    The vast majority of newish cars have wires exactly as described above.
    Don't know if 02 clio has them or not. It obviously doesn't or the OP has been ignoring a light on her dash for the last few hunderd miles.

I think it's very irresponsible of you to tell someone, who has admitted they don't know the first thing about cars, thats its perfectly ok to drive a car when the brakes are down to the metal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DanThe wrote:
    though on older FIATs the sensor is usually disconnected due to to false positives

you may find your brakes aren't as good in the wet from now on so take it handy till you get the changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭sundodger5

the word from a mechanic for a long time..... some cars have wires that bring on a warning light (usually to late) some have a metal clip designed to touch the disc and make a squeeking noise to warn you pads are low. it is recommended pads are changed at 3mm of friction material.
    if you have grinding that is metal to metal contact. if you are very very lucky you will get away with changing the pads only. If grinding a while you are looking at pads and discs. many garages will put in pads only if pushed but for safety's sake do the discs as well.
    remember brakes tyres, suspension are probably the most important safety components on your vehicle.
    For the sake of the cost of a good night on the beer do it right.
    oh the reason for 3mm wear limit is the discs wear as well. if pads are at the minimum and discs similar the piston on your brake caliper can come out to far allowing brake fluid past the seals and brake failure.
    wouldn't be the first time i have seen it happen.
    Any questions pm me

sundodger5 wrote:
    if you are very very lucky you will get away with changing the pads only. If grinding a while you are looking at pads and discs. many garages will put in pads only if pushed but for safety's sake do the discs as well.
    remember brakes tyres, suspension are probably the most important safety components on your vehicle.
    For the sake of the cost of a good night on the beer do it right.

Thanks all. Didn't have any light on dash warning about any problems. First I heard was the noise today driving home! As I said in my last post it seemed to have gone more or less on my second drive home apart from the odd small noise.

Obviously don't mind paying for the safety of the brakes - was just wondering if it would be ok to leave until Tues when its having service etc - but going on majority of posts I'll try and get Advance or one of those places to have a look tomorrow or Sat.

In regards discs/pads, I'd much prefer to get mechanic I know to do them but he wont' be able to before the weekend. Always feel that the tyre places often overcharge.....Would I be better off just to have the pads done tomorrow and then get the mechanic on tues to check it over and see if discs and anymore needs doing, or should I get both done at once?

Quote "was just wondering if it would be ok to leave until Tues?" Sorry sillysocks but none of us can say yes or no, because we have not seen the car.

Quote "should I get both done at once?" Yep, If the disks are worn or scored then it needs new discs and pads at the same time.

If the disks are in very cood condtion and thick enough then you will just need new pads.

It would be bad pratice to fit pads now and then new disks next week, because the pads will start to wear to the shape of the old disks. you would also be paying twice for the job.

Sound advice from sundodger5 although not many people want to spend money on new disks when they might get away with the old ones. Most people are cheapskates!

DanThe wrote:
    Sound advice from sundodger5 although not many people want to spend money on new disks when they might get away with the old ones. Most people are cheapskates!

Like me. :) 180k from them so far!

I put new pads onto a (slightly) scored disk a year or so ago. I can't say it made any noticeable difference to the stopping difference.

DanThe wrote:
    It would be bad pratice to fit pads now and then new disks next week, because the pads will start to wear to the shape of the old disks. you would also be paying twice for the job.

Thats fine - was just wondering if that was how it should be done - or if it didn't make any difference.
    DanThe wrote:

As I said at the start I don't really know anything about it all - so if people/garage say I need to replace both I've no problem paying to replace both, but if it didn't make any difference (which you've explained above that it does) I would have preferred to give the money to a local mechanic out on business on his own who always does good work for us, rather than to a very large company I feel normally take advantage of ppl like me who don't know much about cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

If the discs are scored, replacing the pads only would be a false economy.
    Scored discs will wear out pads faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

No , That is complete Baloney .

You think every car has a brake pad warning light ?? LOL - NO.

The only wire brake pads have is the one towards the bottom of the pad that causes a screeching or grinding sound to warn you they need to be chnaged soon.

No offence but do you know what a brake pad even looks like?? and out of curiosity how many times have u chnaged brake pads on a car??

Dont go calling knowledgeable advice "balony "please.

OP ... your fine dont, worry. - but do change them soon!

..........pure drivel.................all of it !

I cant believe you would come onto a public forum and offer such advice, which is simply innaccurate and downright dangerous !

To the OP I would ignore everything this idiot sayts from now on, and take the accurate information offered by DanThe, who clearly has experience in the trade, as I do !

I ahev never seen a brake pad that had a metal strip in it a a warning, and I have changed thousands. I have seen, and regularly now see the brake pad sensor wire which is present on higher end cars but is increasingly more common. It is a simple device which earths off the disc when the pads has worn down. Even that is not enough to rely on as it is usually fitted to one or at most two of the pads, so if one of the others wears down prematurely no will not see any dash light.

The fact is that brakes really should be inspected annually or twice anually, depending on the mileage. i certainly would not reccommend anyone to drive more than 10,000 miles without checking, less if it is a used car and you have no history of when they were changed !

Also most factory fitted pads are either bonded or closed riveted together, the friction lining and the metal backing. Generally the disc wears leaving a slight ridge at both the inner hub area and on the very outside so when the lining wears down the metal backing or clip can make contact with the disc. If they are worn down enough that the rivet makes contact then you are now damaging the disc when you drive.

The problem is that most pad material is far harder than it was even 5 or 6 years ago and prior to that period discs were really only replaced if damaged or warped or the car had very high mileage. Nowdays discs take the brunt of the harder material and wear out faster so they are now considered a service item. There is now way to determine whether they need replacement, only an experienced person can decide that.

Brakes are vital, that much is obvious, but there are plenty of fools here offering dangerous advice. I recommend you drive gently to the nearest garage that you trust and get their advice, if they are too busy then pick the people who can look asap. The fact that the noise has gone/reduced means you will most likely be okay but the brakes should never have worn to this stage if the car is being/has been serviced properly !

Take care !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭sundodger5

180K on same discs. read the part of my previous post about discs below minimum spec and then the pads wearing down. someday soon no pedal. i have also seen discs fracture from being to thin they just can't take the heat generated by stopping a tonne of metal from a 100km/h.
    just tell me what county you drive in so i can avoid the impending accident;)

sundodger5 wrote:
    180K on same discs. read the part of my previous post about discs below minimum spec and then the pads wearing down. someday soon no pedal. i have also seen discs fracture from being to thin they just can't take the heat generated by stopping a tonne of metal from a 100km/h.
    just tell me what county you drive in so i can avoid the impending accident;)

They actually have more life left on them than those on the Focus I bought with 60k. There is a bit of a lip, but nothing severe.

A lot of it probably depends on driving style. I had the mondeo more or less from new and I don't use brakes much (it is a complete waste of energy!). They used the most amazing stuff in those Mk1 mondeos anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

thought I'd reply than start another thread, I got new brake pads fitted just before xmas. However they are squeaking like mad now. Anyone any tips or advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Speaking from personal experience:

Squeaking (v high pitch) when pads are new: an accumulation of brake dust between pad and disc. Normal, usually goes away after a while.
    Squeaking when pads are old: pads worn down to the warning tab which generates a squeaking noise. Not all pads in all cars have this tab tho.
    Grinding when pads are old, getting A LOT louder when you use the brakes: pad worn to backing plate and cutting into disc. Disc will be damaged, and the damage will be severe enough to require a new disc if left long enough without treatment.
    Loud grinding even when not using brakes: A stone caught between the caliper and the disc, scraping off the disc. More likely to happen when the weather is very hot and road tar is melty. While annoying the stone will eventually wear away or break up.

But the bottom line here is if you are in doubt about any noise in your car, have it checked out. And better sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

stringy wrote:
    thought I'd reply than start another thread, I got new brake pads fitted just before xmas. However they are squeaking like mad now. Anyone any tips or advice?

they didnt put any copper grease behind the pads when they were fitted (between the pistons and the pads). Nothing to worry about in my albet limited experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MercMad wrote:
    ..........pure drivel.................all of it !

I cant believe you would come onto a public forum and offer such advice, which is simply innaccurate and downright dangerous !

To the OP I would ignore everything this idiot sayts from now on, and take the accurate information offered by DanThe, who clearly has experience in the trade, as I do !

I ahev never seen a brake pad that had a metal strip in it a a warning, and I have changed thousands. I have seen, and regularly now see the brake pad sensor wire which is present on higher end cars but is increasingly more common. It is a simple device which earths off the disc when the pads has worn down. Even that is not enough to rely on as it is usually fitted to one or at most two of the pads, so if one of the others wears down prematurely no will not see any dash light.

The fact is that brakes really should be inspected annually or twice anually, depending on the mileage. i certainly would not reccommend anyone to drive more than 10,000 miles without checking, less if it is a used car and you have no history of when they were changed !

Also most factory fitted pads are either bonded or closed riveted together, the friction lining and the metal backing. Generally the disc wears leaving a slight ridge at both the inner hub area and on the very outside so when the lining wears down the metal backing or clip can make contact with the disc. If they are worn down enough that the rivet makes contact then you are now damaging the disc when you drive.

The problem is that most pad material is far harder than it was even 5 or 6 years ago and prior to that period discs were really only replaced if damaged or warped or the car had very high mileage. Nowdays discs take the brunt of the harder material and wear out faster so they are now considered a service item. There is now way to determine whether they need replacement, only an experienced person can decide that.

Brakes are vital, that much is obvious, but there are plenty of fools here offering dangerous advice. I recommend you drive gently to the nearest garage that you trust and get their advice, if they are too busy then pick the people who can look asap. The fact that the noise has gone/reduced means you will most likely be okay but the brakes should never have worn to this stage if the car is being/has been serviced properly !

Take care !

Proper advice, other posts as suggested above are pure bullsh*t. I am lucky on my passat when they are getting low the I will get a message "Brake error, please stop car"(something like that) and the car will beep 6 times. It will keep on beeping every so often to make sure it annoys the hell out of you till you change them.

If there is something wrong with brake pads, change them as soon as possible. Apart from the obvious danger of not having proper brakes if you dont change them it will cause damage to the wheel and will cost alot more to fix. It amazes me when driving around Dublin the amount of people when they brake the car makes an almighty noise and they dont seem to care a bit about it

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

JHMEG wrote:
    Speaking from personal experience:

Squeaking (v high pitch) when pads are new: an accumulation of brake dust between pad and disc. Normal, usually goes away after a while.
    Squeaking when pads are old: pads worn down to the warning tab which generates a squeaking noise. Not all pads in all cars have this tab tho.
    Grinding when pads are old, getting A LOT louder when you use the brakes: pad worn to backing plate and cutting into disc. Disc will be damaged, and the damage will be severe enough to require a new disc if left long enough without treatment.
    Loud grinding even when not using brakes: A stone caught between the caliper and the disc, scraping off the disc. More likely to happen when the weather is very hot and road tar is melty. While annoying the stone will eventually wear away or break up.

But the bottom line here is if you are in doubt about any noise in your car, have it checked out. And better sooner rather than later.

Sorry to part hijack this thread, but...

My 01 Polo's brakes squeak very loudly when starting driving.
    However after a while(say 20/30 mins) of driving they stop squeaking.
    Do I have a problem?
    Its a second hand car so cant say when/if the pads have been changed.Maybe cheap brake pads or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Clank wrote:
    Sorry to part hijack this thread, but...

My 01 Polo's brakes squeak very loudly when starting driving.
    However after a while(say 20/30 mins) of driving they stop squeaking.
    Do I have a problem?
    Its a second hand car so cant say when/if the pads have been changed.Maybe cheap brake pads or something?

Could be a bigger problem, would get it checked out ASAP.

Advertisement