Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will 19" alloys fit on a 2002 BMW 530d sport?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Any work needed to get them to fit?

Any suggestions on which would be the nicest? Has anyone seen any before? I'm thinking the 19" M3 or Evo2 alloys might look well.

Deciding on whether to buy the car or not. Was going to buy a 330d and 19s look great on them but I'm almost set on a lovely 530d but I've never seen a 5 series with 19s...

Not really all that fussed about new wheels but just considering potential...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I haven't noticed 19s on any 5ers, but I know several people running 18s.

With the roads here, are you sure you want to go that big?

You could try the links in my sig - there may already be an answer in one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

It's mainly motorways I'll be driving on so I don't mind. I had 18s on my last car and they weren't really a problem. Would the difference be much? I'm guessing the tyre profile is about the same on each only the 19 is a bigger wheel right?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's mainly motorways I'll be driving on so I don't mind. I had 18s on my last car and they weren't really a problem. Would the difference be much? I'm guessing the tyre profile is about the same on each only the 19 is a bigger wheel right?

you'd be better off trying to get a low profile tyre on it. The extra size will affect your acceleration. Standard 19's I rekon will be too big on the car for turning also. has the car been lowered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The 530d Mtech came with 17inch wheels. With a 19inch wheel and lower profile tyres you won't be increasing the total diameter of the wheel/tyre combo by much. I would have to get figures on the standard tyres and the tyres for the new wheels to work it out but you can keep this to a minimum by using the correct tyre size. Is this an Mtech 530? I love them, the look great. I would try getting a set of the 19's off a new M5, assuming the stud pattern is the same. You'll probably pay an arm and a leg for them from BMW though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BMW alloys will cost a fortune. Spurious alloys, if no from a good manufacturer (ACS, Alpina, BBS) will more than likely not work comfortably with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Yes it's an Mtech with the lower suspension and the 17s which are fine really. There's a place in ardee that has a fairly good range of alloys and iirc they sell BMW alloys - I know I saw a number of badged ones on the wall... I'm not going to arse around too much with it but just wanted to get an idea of possibilities.

I went and bought the car anyway so I'll have to think about it a little. The new M5 wheels are damn nice alright. I'll have to check to see if they are the same fit. I know there were issues with swapping between the e34 and e39. I'll have a look around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭kdevitt

19's will fit with no issues afaik. . I think a guy up north is running 20's from a 7er on his E39.

I have 19's on my E46 and have no issues with ride quality or comfort - or lack of acceleration for that matter.

E34 rims have a smaller bore than E39. IIRC E60 are much the same as E34 but don't quote me on it.
    I know one person on www.bavarian-board has E60 rims on their E39 but don't know how he got them there - ask on there if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Althought only 1 inch bigger than what you had before, it may be worthwhile to check out the price for tires which could be savagely expensive.

My 17" tyres (Goodyear F1) are about €100 cheaper than corresponding 18". I would imagine 19" are more expensive than 18s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Any work needed to get them to fit?

Any suggestions on which would be the nicest? Has anyone seen any before? I'm thinking the 19" M3 or Evo2 alloys might look well.

Deciding on whether to buy the car or not. Was going to buy a 330d and 19s look great on them but I'm almost set on a lovely 530d but I've never seen a 5 series with 19s...

Not really all that fussed about new wheels but just considering potential...

Hi there,

This should help you get an idea of exact sizes to look for that will work with your car.

Make - BMW Model
    5 Series E39
    Year - 95 to 03
    PCD - 5x120
    Offset - 15 to 25
    Bore - 74.1
    Recommended fitments,
    15" 2056515
    16" 2255516
    17" 2354517
    18" 2354018
    19" 2353519
    20" 2553020

Basic rule of thumb, the larger the wheel, the lower profile tyre.
    Would not recommend anything lower than a 35 tyre on Irish roads.

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/

Cheers

With many BMW rims the rear ones are wider than the front. My fronts are 235/45/17 whereas the rears are 222/40/17.

Advertisement