Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on settlement of a bet

Options
  • 11-01-2007 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

hi there

just want to see if I am way out on my thinking on this one.
    I have accounts with all the bookmakers and of course they send me all their "offers".
    One recent one was to match a bet with a free bet up to E80.

I had a E40 single and used the free bet to do a E20 ew at 7/1
    The single lost. the win portion of the free bet lost and the place portion came in. The expected return on such a bet would be E48 normally but I know the free bet stake is non refundable so I expected E28. Not so. I only got E8 back as they deducted the win portion of the bet of the return as well.
    I think this is sharp practice. Am I wrong. If I had thought for a second they would do this I would of course have done the bet the other way round to avoid this. I am getting no joy from them

Here is part of their reply

"I do sympathize with you in that had you placed the England selection as
    your free bet, you returns from the Monkerhostin would have been more
    profitable. Unfortunately, nothing can be done as this bet was settled
    some time ago. All I can do is advise that if you do place your free
    bet, please note that free bet returns will exclude the total free bet
    stake and try to avoid placing each way bets on short priced selections."

since when is 7/1 a short price?

Mad Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

That sounds wrong on their part. It should be a return of €28.

By their logic, if you had done a free €20 e/w bet on something with odds under 5/1, which placed, then you would owe them money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

it's not sharp practice, it is as Crumbs said - wrong - completely. They owe you 28, hound them until you get it.

Advertisement