Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor files

Options
  • 10-01-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Is it normal practice for a solicitor to make very personal and derogatory remarks in a client's file, following a minor disagreement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what might be some hypothetical examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MelCork

hypothetically, if solicitor and client were to have a minor difference of opinion as to how much attention the case deserved, and resolved this via telephone call. woudl the solicitor normally document telephone conversations and include description of the client indicating that they did not know what they were talking about (which they don't - that is why they engaged a solicitor). what sort of tone to the description could be considered normal, and what would be considered unprofessional?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Having a lovely-bad permanent record back in the USA education system (so long, suckers) I had to put up with a lot of filth in my referrals ... 'Beligerent' springs to mind; and I still don't know exactly what the word means ...

I suppose its possible that a solicitor may choose some select words while trying to keep records: though it may just be that while trying to find the most diplomatic way to say "I've seen smarter cows walk into a slaughter house" they may have just let themselves go a bit without giving it too much thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MelCork

That is probably what could happen alright. So it would seem that in the legal profession anything goes... how odd.
    It's just as well that, if this were a true story, then hypothetical client would know that this was only the personal opinion of an overweight, halitosis-ridden and self-important little man who had just been insulted simply in order to get him to take a call. :-)
    Better go make some notes - as they say, if it's not written down it didn't happen....

Advertisement