Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get picked for jury service?

Options
  • 09-01-2007 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from Silverharp's thread on jury service, I'd like to know how I go about getting picked for Jury Service

As I understand, you are randomly picked from the Electoral Register.
    I'm registered to vote in Tipperary North. We have Nenagh District court and possibly some other towns have district courts, eg Thurles and Roscrea,I'm not sure

But obviously we need a higher court for jury service.
    I've checked here and it seems we don't have a circuit court in Tipperary North
    http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/WebCOByJurisdiction?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=3#3

So is my chance to ever get on a jury to wait to a major trial such as a murder case to happen in my constituency?
    Since the 1st Nally case was held in Mayo and the Houlihan case was held in Cork, maybe trails aren't automatically moved to Dublin.

I've did a nightcourse on law so I'd be interested in seeing the legal process work and of course I'd get to do my civic duty.
    A few days off work wouldn't be bad either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nenagh Circuit court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Why bother with all that when you're entitled to walk into any murder case in any court in the country and just watch? Also juries often get sent back to the jury room when juicy stuff is going on, i.e. if the judge wants to berate counsel or gardai or during a voir dire...

The chances of getting picked for jury service are next to nothing for you it seems so I'd recommend the other route above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look here, I got picked to do it myself but Im gonna say I cant do it. Waste of time tbh :rolleyes:.

Advertisement