Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate, SG1 Season 10, Episode 11: The Quest Part II [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 09-01-2007 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Wahoo finally waiting so long for this episode and i cant wait to see BSG in HD especially episode 4 in 4 weeks.

Ok it was a great episode of sg1 cought me off guard was not expecting that style of episode and was that the real baal that died there? how many clones left?
    eh anyway unfortunately for me i know what happens to danial

Rate This Episode 17 votes

10 - This Is Why I Watch This Show
    0%
    5%
    Moe Lester 1 vote
    5%
    User45701 1 vote
    35%
    Mr EWintersCatsmokinpotsenordingdongslade_xKojak 6 votes
    29%
    IvanPugsleyjor elSuaimhneachkdouglas 5 votes
    11%
    Vulturethelordofcheese 2 votes
    5%
    is_that_so 1 vote
    5%
    alastair_doom 1 vote
    0%
    1 - A Few More Like This And Ill Stop Watching
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

A very good epsidoe, IMO. Certinaly a lot better than The Quest Part I.

There was a lot of items in this episode that had already appeared in previous episodes - for example Merlin's "head's up" device. Also the virtual CAD machine was similar to when SG1 found Ernest Littlefiled back in season 1 or 2 (I know back then it wasn't as advanced, but that's what hit me the moment I saw it)

For most of the past 2 seasons humour has been used in too many wrong places - but I didn't think that was the case in this one. Tealc's line to Carter and B'aal: "You two work well together" was funny, I thought.

Mitchell was a lot better than usual - a bit of substance to him, without being a "Jack clone". Christ, even Vala was tolerable :eek:

The only thing I didn't like was the dragon thing, but luckily that ended pretty quickly.

Hopefully more of this standard to come for the next 9 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

the virtual CAD machine was similar to when SG1 found Ernest Littlefiled back in season 1 or 2
    Struck me and all.

I also found it enjoyable giving Daniel the slight overload, slipping occasionally back to Merlin. Been a long time since we saw Shanks have to play other characters besides Daniel.
    Christ, even Vala was tolerable
    Regarding Vala, has she always followed the team through the gate at the end of the opening sequence like that, or was that just added now? Can't say I ever noticed before, though I know she is credited on the opening sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Regarding Vala, has she always followed the team through the gate at the end of the opening sequence like that, or was that just added now?

It was just Mitchell, Carter, Daniel and Teal'c up until the sixth or seventh episode of the season - just like season 9. Then they changed it to include Vala - it happened after the episode where she ran away and lost her memory, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

here i just thought of something remember the guy? cant remember his name the inventer who battle the gou'auld?
    he switched bodies with danial?

could they not have used that device to save merlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ma'chello?

Nah, that thing was the size of a small cabinet. They would have had to be able to find the way back to the SGC with Merlin. That would also presuppose that the device had been brought back to Earth, and not left on the planet they encountered it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

it was brought back to earth to the SGC to the medical room where they body swapped and then one would assume either destroyed or stored in area51

anyway it does not matter as they where not able 2 establish a connection with earth

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well-paced but as predicted the found a "weapon". Script was OK , with a few little laughs. It was however noticeable how difficult the writers find it when they have too many "characters" on screen and have too many things are going on at once. More interested at this stage to see to see the DVD movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

User45701 wrote:
    anyway it does not matter as they where not able 2 establish a connection with earth
    um but merlin was still around then.... it would have been trivial for him to override the program.

One massive plot hole imo was when daniel used the lighning on the ori troops that he should have used to oblik to just transport them all out....

and it was very predictible that mid-season they'd never finish the weapon... i dunno i think sg1 has gotten way too formalistic. its mid season, lets almost get the weapon we need to win the day, second half nope, we get close but no cigar, back to the status quo...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed it more than the first part. Good mix of humour and people got a role to play, including Baal (who got left behind at the end it seems).

It made sense for Daniel to be Merlin and good to see, as elsewhere, MS get another role (and speaking of Ma'chello - reminds me of the days when they let MS actually get up in makeup too). Decent way of doing that - poor Jackson's brain has been shifted up and down planes and levels of knowledge a ton of times.

Anyone else think of Kheb and Oma Desala when the Goa'uld got struck down by lightning?

As to the formulaic aspect - I agree to an extent but their hands are somewhat tied. If they found the full weapon now, we'd have complained. If we only find a bit now and more bits throughout the season (to lead into the movie), we could also complain about how it's being dragged out. Is there any real answer? Drag plots over seasons or compress them? Dump a season long arc approach? Or have it in more steady installments than beginning, mid-season, and end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Hmmm, not a great episode, but not a bad one either, very middle of the road stuff.

It's mostly to set up the second half of the season, and does a pretty good job.

Interestingly enough the Ori soilders seem to be along the lines of the classic Jaffa cannon fodder, i was kinda hoping to see them even in the least bit compitant, or being slightly adverse to charging headfirst through the gate to probable doom. Ahh well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

fanantic troops generally charge headfirst into danger anyway? I dont see why the ori troops who worship the orisi(or however its spelt) would behave any different than the jaffa for their gods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

true, but i just want to see someone use their troops in something more than a "run at them untill they run out of ammo" scenario.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Great episode and it only fell short in one area for me, an area that really pissed me off...I hate the way the team was 'hanging out' with Adria, and even co-operating with her....same goes for Ba'al. As if that isn't bad enough, the two start showing their fear and putting an enemy like Adria in situations such as the dragon scene is stupid.
    She had a sheild and still ran from the dragon and did nothing to try and stop it....things like this only cheapen the enemy and make them look like less and less of a threat. Ba'al dying liek that was stupid, makes you wonder why he was there to begin with.

Otherwise it was great, I loved the plot and twists and it was great to see some action against Ori troops.
    It was good to see another side to Mitchell and I thought that was a very good scene, even if it was abit silly how much Vala has 'fallen' for Daniel. I hope they don't bump uglies or anything, it would make her even worse.

'Perhaps Puff'..........brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Interestingly enough the Ori soilders seem to be along the lines of the classic Jaffa cannon fodder, i was kinda hoping to see them even in the least bit compitant, or being slightly adverse to charging headfirst through the gate to probable doom. Ahh well....
    You have to remember that the ori troops are just farmers given the most basic of training and sent off on a crusade, to expect them to be good fighters is asking a lot to be fair, I think they were fine for what they are.

Thought this was an all out unspectacular but decent episode, could have been better but it could have been much worse, the one thing that did irritate me though was the echo, dear god they over used it, in Merlins lab why was there echo? the room cavern wasnt that big, there shouldnt be an echo, and definately not to the extent in the episode. Highlight of the episode was Teal'c for "Perhaps Puff" and "You two work well together", excellent one liners, I think Mitchells talk with Vala about the rest of the team risking their lives was good though, well handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Pugsley wrote:
    You have to remember that the ori troops are just farmers given the most basic of training and sent off on a crusade, to expect them to be good fighters is asking a lot to be fair, I think they were fine for what they are.

Hahaha...that reminds me, watch the episode again, and you'll notice that one of the first Ori troops runs through without a weapon, and his fist raised as though he is about to give someone a cauliflower ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

-Adrinara is still hot.
    -That dragons legs were kind of crappy, it looked too much like a T Rex with wings. :\
    -Ori troops are rubbish, hooray! Countless minions to kerplode dramatically again! :D
    It's been a few episodes.

I loved the gate auto dialer and transport thing, that was cool, and things aren't neatly wrapped up = story arc.

Advertisement