Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going to VRT a car - what should I bring?

Options
  • 08-01-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I will be heading in to the VRO this week to pay the VRT on an imported car from the UK. What do I need to bring along with me?

V5, Car, Payment, anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

1. They might ask for the receipt of purchase, not always.

2. Make sure you have the car! They may or may not ask to see it.

3. It would be helpful to have the two forms filled out already, the VRT one & the tax one. (They like that).

4. Did you fancy paying €315 for a nice Reg? I just looked at a 00 reg BMW 318i convertible imported in 2004 but was given 00-W-10 (It's currently for sale in a garage). So there are some low numbers held back, even 4 years later! Personal choice of course.

5. If you are paying by cheque they will ask for your PPS (RSI) number, think it's just so they know are who you say you are. So bring that.

6. Oh yea, cheque book. (they like this too!!!)

7. Bring some ID, probably won't ask but you never know (Driver's license is fine).

Best to cover the "maybes". When I did it it was straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

1. They might ask for the receipt of purchase, not always.
    I don't have one - unless they accept e-bay form!
    2. Make sure you have the car! They may or may not ask to see it.
    I will be bringing it along.
    3. It would be helpful to have the two forms filled out already, the VRT one & the tax one. (They like that).
    Nice one - I will fill them out.
    4. Did you fancy paying €315 for a nice Reg? I just looked at a 00 reg BMW 318i convertible imported in 2004 but was given 00-W-10 (It's currently for sale in a garage). So there are some low numbers held back, even 4 years later! Personal choice of course.
    The VRT is only €315 (Classic Car) so I don't fancy doubling it - would be nice though! Interesting to see some special plates still exist!
    5. If you are paying by cheque they will ask for your PPS (RSI) number, think it's just so they know are who you say you are. So bring that.
    I was going to pay by Bank Draft as my cheque book has run out!
    7. Bring some ID, probably won't ask but you never know (Driver's license is fine).
    Good thinking! Thanks ;)

The only problem with the draft is that you may not know the exact amount. The internet value is usually spot on though.

The only problem with the draft is that you may not know the exact amount. The internet value is usually spot on though.
    I know! It's an 86 Manta and I was also told when I rang the VRO that it would only be €315 as that was the minimum they could charge and that there were no extras or modifications made to the car!

Sound out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

atlantean wrote:
    The VRT is only €315 (Classic Car) so I don't fancy doubling it - would be nice though! Interesting to see some special plates still exist!
    atlantean wrote:
    I know! It's an 86 Manta
    A classic is 30 years or more.
    For the purposes of the NCT a classic is one between 25 and 30 years old - any older and its a vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

Hi Atlantean, dont wanna burst your bubble but you may find that the price is a wee bit more. I think they now class the manta as a "collectable" ie. lets charge more. I hope this isn't the case though. I know it's a bit older, but when I rang them about my 77 manta that's what I was told. Had to wait for a few days for them to get back to me with a price. It was on the far side of 800 yoyos. Well screw that I said, so I put the plates of my scrapped 88 manta on her till her 30th birthday in a few months. Feckin government gets enough of my money as it is.

kbannon wrote:
    A classic is 30 years or more.
    From a tax VRT point of view 30 years is Vintage and so is a reduced rate. Up to that point normal rules apply AFAIA. The term "Classic" does not enter the equation apart from insurance policy purposes.

mantaraver wrote:
    Hi Atlantean, dont wanna burst your bubble but you may find that the price is a wee bit more. I think they now class the manta as a "collectable" ie. lets charge more. I hope this isn't the case though. I know it's a bit older, but when I rang them about my 77 manta that's what I was told. Had to wait for a few days for them to get back to me with a price. It was on the far side of 800 yoyos. Well screw that I said, so I put the plates of my scrapped 88 manta on her till her 30th birthday in a few months. Feckin government gets enough of my money as it is.
    Don't say things like that :eek:

Having looked up my model on the revenue site I got a total of €315. Then when I rang the VRO they also gave me the same figure. The GT/E is on their system so there is no waiting time to get a price - to be safe I will ring them again I think!

mantaraver wrote:
    Hi Atlantean, dont wanna burst your bubble but you may find that the price is a wee bit more.
    Paid the VRT today - it was €315 as quoted online ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

atlantean wrote:
    From a tax VRT point of view 30 years is Vintage and so is a reduced rate. Up to that point normal rules apply AFAIA. The term "Classic" does not enter the equation apart from insurance policy purposes.
    Quite right. I used the OPs term.
    Oasis uses 'classic' however when referring to the NCT - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/vehicle-standards/national_car_test/?searchterm=classic%20car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

Nice one :)
    atlantean wrote:
    Paid the VRT today - it was €315 as quoted online ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd have bought a 'sawn-off' but thats just me! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

They usually want to see the car's V5 document from the UK you should have got it when you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Lads what happens after you've paid your vrt (& cringed as you were doing so). Do they send you on the logbook or what documentation follows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Tanabe wrote:
    Lads what happens after you've paid your vrt (& cringed as you were doing so). Do they send you on the logbook or what documentation follows?

You just bring the form into the Motor Tax office and register the car for tax with the new reg.

Tanabe wrote:
    I just went on to motortax.ie and paid the road tax online ;)

Advertisement