Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM

Options
  • 08-01-2007 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My sister has a PC she bought from Tesco last xmas (one of the crappy IQON)

She has 64mB DDRam installed as 1 stick.

Can this be replaced, was hoping to upgrade it to 256 or even 512 to try and help her out.

I know I will have to get ring of the 64 and put in two new sticks, Is there any limatations to how much ram can be put in

Thanks guys

Omega

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was not possible to buy a new PC this time last year with a mere 64mb of Ram - even budget computers came with a minimum of 256mb generally speaking, or even higher.

So unless you meant to say maybe.....5 Christmases ago? Otherwise, somebody has nicked the memory from her computer and replaced it.

What are the rest of the specs?

but yes to answer your question it is easy to upgrade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wow 64mb is very old school. :) What operating system are you running? Post up the model number of the iQon and some of us will be able to tell you how much/where to get some memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

is it possible that it is video memory being mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I was thinking the same.

Windows xp simply wont run on 64mb of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

OK first thing is first

Right click the MY computer icon and click properties, at the very bottom of the box that pops up it will tell you how much Ram you have once and for all.

Secondly why does she need/want more Ram?

• Advertisement

Go to this site www.crucial.com and run the system scanner. It will then you exactly what RAM you can put in the machine. Very handy tool that scanner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

although off topic, i feel i should mention that Xp will run on 64mb.

Ive a rig running sp2, ie6, winamp and flashget. Its not Mach 3 but with the gizmos turned off it will work.

Advertisement