Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Inside Centre

• 08-01-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Just watching highlights from the Ospreys match the other night. Gordon D'Arcy was absolutely incredible that night - ran the show for Leinster. Are there any IC's better than him at the moment? I'm struggling to think of anyone near him at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

davyjose wrote:
    Just watching highlights from the Ospreys match the other night. Gordon D'Arcy was absolutely incredible that night - ran the show for Leinster. Are there any IC's better than him at the moment? I'm struggling to think of anyone near him at the moment.
    He's been great so far this season. One of the best IC in the world right now (though there aren't many candidates for that title at the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The form he is showing certainly puts him up with the best in the world. I liked the look of McAllister from New Zealand, he suits their gameplay, But D'Arcy has been outstanding this season. I can't remember the last time he didn't break the gain line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I just think if he plays like this for the 6N, we will score buckets of tries - his link-up with O'Driscoll for the 2nd try on Saturday was phenomenal - they can read each other like a book. we have easily the best centre pairing in the world (perhaps the two best individual centres in the world), and the best 2nd row in the world (talking about Ireland now), and a couple of other areas where we are dominant(our No.8 is possibly the world's best), and we have a wealth of talent on the wings - it's looking good!
    McAllister is excellent but i think because he's a Kiwi people give him the benefit of the doubt - If Gordon were an AB player, he would be nominated for Player of the Year next year. same with O'Driscoll, every year. And would without doubt start ahead of McAlister - his ability to break the gain-line either through brute strength, or skill is unmatched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

felipe Comtiponi (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

RuggieBear wrote:
    felipe Comtiponi (sp?)
    Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

The match against the Ospreys was a bit of a showcase for D'arcy. He is finding the space to break defences himself and when he is tackled he pumps the legs to make more yards, alsolutely fantastic stuff and gives the support a chance to catch up.

D'arcy is certainly maturing into his role at inside centre and making space for the rest of the backline as well, especially for O'Driscoll who is then able to finish the move himself or find the next man who is running a good line. Without a doubt the best midfield pairing in the world right now, can't wait to get to Croker for the 6N.

RuggieBear wrote:
    felipe Comtiponi (sp?)
    Possibly, although I don't think he plays enough in this position. I watched him for Argentina against England and TBH thought he was wasted here. He's the sort of FH who can play this position - strong, good tackler - the way Wilkinson can, but I think D'Arcy is an out and out IC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

D'arcy is a fantastic player now that he has the focus, what about Gavin Henson?

only kidding

yeah its looking good for Ireland this 6nations but I do fear an English backlash thank god we're not playing them first match!
    I do think it is good to see Barry Murphy coming good, as we do need cover at 13 especially the type of game O Driscoll plays- don't know how he's still walking!
    Surely Kearney is worth a go as well in the 6nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

buck65 wrote:
    D'arcy is a fantastic player now that he has the focus, what about Gavin Henson?

only kidding

yeah its looking good for Ireland this 6nations but I do fear an English backlash thank god we're not playing them first match!
    I do think it is good to see Barry Murphy coming good, as we do need cover at 13 especially the type of game O Driscoll plays- don't know how he's still walking!
    Surely Kearney is worth a go as well in the 6nations.

Trimble or Horgan would cover before Barry Murphy gets anywhere near the squad, let alone team.

Kearney needs more consistency at Leinster before he'll get into the squad

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    Trimble or Horgan would cover before Barry Murphy gets anywhere near the squad, let alone team.

Kearney needs more consistency at Leinster before he'll get into the squad
    Yes it'll take two or three Injuries before Murphy gets a look-in, trimble and horgan have played effectively in the centre before.

I still think Kearney is a winger - he doesn't look comfortable as the last line of defence to me, and there was a moment in the Ospreys game where he left the ball to O'Driscoll and it was nearly a try, that's inexperience perhaps, but last season he wa on the wing and that's where he made a name for himself. Also if he plays wing, there is less a chance of him being shipped off to Munster, which I think would be a tragedy for Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

My post last night got lost to the backup :/

Anyway, D'arcy on his current form is definitely my first choice in a world team as IC. He is the complete package, incredible in the defence and offence. He can tackle, run, pass, ruck even kick :p

I think Leinster would be mad to let Kearney go, especially with Fitzgerald still unproven. Even if Kearney can never consistantly make the first team (which I think he has the potential to do) he makes a great utility back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

It has taken D'Arcy a while to get used to the switch from outside centre, the injury didn't help, but it's certainly been worth the wait and we should certainly reep the benefits in the 6N if he continues this form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

davyjose wrote:

Which three New Zealand ICs would you consider closest to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

NZ don't have inside centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

traditional inside centres seem to be a thing of the past

RuggieBear wrote:
    That depends on what you define as an Inside Centre; while as Georgie said, the role is changing somewhat, many people would refer to the No. 12 as the Inside Centre. I know that on occasion teams interchange the two centres and put the 13 inside (England have done it a number of times), In this case the first man outside the fly half would still usually be the IC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

RuggieBear wrote:

OK........

So which 3 NZ NUMBER 12s do you consider to be their best but inferior to Darcy ?

Why three? I think the All Blacks have a huge supply of centres, with McAlister, Muiliana and Mauger the three I would consider for Inside centre, however Nonu has played in this position too, as has Carter.
    I'm not sure why you asked for three, however the fact that Centre is one area that Henry has chopped and changed more than any other, seems to imply it is an area he isn't sure of. There is no doubt in my mind that if D'Arcy and BOD were Kiwi's they'd be on first the teamsheet in September. The AB's are excellent, but they are not good enough to have the best player in every position. Not by a long way.

Advertisement