Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when something found

Options
  • 07-01-2007 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if i found something historical like an old pot or something. do i call someone or what

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

About 3/4 years ago I found half of what I presume was a medieval loom weight and around the same time when there was dredging work being carried out on the Barrow my brother found what he believes to have been a stone age axe head.

My brother got in contact with the county museum, they sent a couple of guy out to have a look at the area that the objects were found, they took some pictures, some notes, took the two artifacts and we havent heard anything since :(

I dont even have pictures of the items, I must check up on where they are and whats happening with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

You can call the duty archaeologist in the National Museum.

Did you find something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

All archaeological artefacts are the property of the state and legally, you're supposed to report a find to the national museum or local gardai within something like 3 days. An "old pot" could be anything from a bronze age burial urn to a bit of my grannies cooking ware, but if you think it's old you should definitely report it.

Croppyboy, did the people who came out give you no indication as to what they thought the stuff you handed in was? That's pretty bad form if they didn't, I'd have hoped they'd have had the manners to at least say thanks!

Unfortunately the chances are that anything members of the public might find (along with the majority of stuff found on archaeological excavations) will just end up in storage somewhere, but there just isn't the space to put it all on display unless it's really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

I haven't accually found anything but many times i thought i found something which just turned out to be my own plates but i do have a coin from 1908 does anyone how much it might be worth

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

Yeah I'd call the curator in the History Museum in Dublin....I'd then call the OPW, if it's significant, there may be need for an excavation.

Advertisement