Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight bland music! Join US!

Options
  • 06-01-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi ho. Apparently I cant post my number oh here or I get banned. You have to "PM" me, whatever the **** that is. Anyway, Im 33, was in a band before, can sing and play guitar. Looking to start another band if only to have something decent to listen to. Man, the music these days is so ****ing BLAND. Its not even BAD its just so...sub-coldplay BLAAAAAAAAND. Ok you get my point.

So whatever happened to ROCKING OUT? and I dont mean cheesy/sweaty mens rock or pretend-metal "goth" I mean straightforward FUN like Faith No More or Weezer. I mean dont get me wrong, the comedy stylings of latter day Radiohead work are not lost on me nor the sweet candy of a gershwin, vivaldi or Debussy. I like Slayer and Bathory, Metallica and testament too. I can dig James brown, click my fingers to the Dave clark five and know all the lyrics to "Baileys Walk". And right now my ipod is mainly Amon tobin, Nightmares on wax and Sisters of mercy, but dont pigeonhole me (man).

So if theres anyone out there who wants to meet up for a pint, talk about getting a decent roawk band together Im up for it. I dont care what you play or even if you "play at all". The best music isnt made by musicologists or people with a blackbelt in Piano, its made by people with a love for music, and eye for the absurd and an ear for anarchy.

"Pm" me if you must.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I can't actually play anything, but i'm interested... What could i do? I can't sing either so that's out but i LOVE music, alot.

Interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My kind of band - no musical ability required.

Springsteen had a band called Dr Zoom and his Sonic Boom in 70-71 in which the function of some members was to play Monopoly. Thus "playing in a band!"

I believe in rock for the joy of it, and, yes, acts such as Coldplay are cynical rock and leave me "cold"

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

Woah woah woah hold up a second. So you want to create music thats not 'bland', but at the same time have no plan whatsoever as to how you're going to do this..
    It sounds like you want to return to a mythical 'rock' golden age where musicians 'rocked' out and had 'straightforward fun'. Its a powerful idea, you'll have the approval of your peers who believe in it too, and the comfort of using a tried and tested musical approach & style.

Entertaining?, possibly,
    but not-bland by definition, absurd, anarchic .... don't make me laugh.

-A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shootthemlater

I wasnt trying to make you laugh. You're obviously not the laughing type. I am trying to return to a different era, only it's not mythical, its called "the nineties". As for tried and tested formulas, the quiet plaintive acoustic warbling of todays crooners like is as formulaic as milk powder.

You say I have "no plan whatsoever". On what evidence do you base this inference? On the idea that im not looking for people who are musicians? Ask shaun ryder how far back that held him. Or Public Enemy, or Bob Dylan.

By the way Rock as I have defined it in my post has no "tried and tested style or approach". Only the pseudo rock which I despise has, the Status quo's and Oasis's of the world.

Best of luck with the lauging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Man, the music these days is so ****ing BLAND. Its not even BAD its just so...sub-coldplay BLAAAAAAAAND. Ok you get my point.
    i just want to agree with this. 95% of the modern indie rock bands out now are pure crap. bland, all the same rasping clean guitar horrible sound with not one pair of rockin bollix between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

ferdi wrote:
    i just want to agree with this. 95% of the modern indie rock bands out now are pure crap. bland, all the same rasping clean guitar horrible sound with not one pair of rockin bollix between them.

And I heard most of them like to give dogs a root.

In the bum.

Ok fair enough I was in a bad mood thats true.

But really, here's how I see it. . I think 'rock' is the problem and not the
    solution, to bland music.

how so? because I think a fundamental schizhophrenia has become apparent in the genre of 'rock' music. On the one hand rock is thought of almost universally as the expression of rebelliousness & youth. Yet on the other had, rock has become an accepted part of adult society (as has all rock & roll derived music generally).

It seems to me that the idea of youth and rebelliousness the heartbeat of what we usually define as 'rock' music, -NOT- any drive to be non-bland. But since that idea itself is no longer relevant or at least cannot provide the impetus it once did, 'rock' has inevitably lost its drive, and ambition. Hence blandness.
    So we have blandness, but the only way we belive there is to combat it, is 'rock', which itself is the cause of the blandness....

If this is actuality what is happening, then the subtext of the original post is an admirable one. Because what is going on I realise now, is that the very term 'rock' is being redefined. The great age of rock moved forcibly from the 70's to the 90's,

But there is another way. Why not drop the rock altogether?. Maybe drop all the assumptions about how we must create and present our music?. Maybe we can be free to do what we want to do!. We can be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded. And we want to have a good time! And that’s what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna have a good time. We’re gonna have a party!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marktheshark83

redefining rock? i like it. it has lost is meaning for sure, and things are about to change thanks be to jaysus. :D good look with the band

Brother A wrote:
    But there is another way. Why not drop the rock altogether?. Maybe drop all the assumptions about how we must create and present our music?. Maybe we can be free to do what we want to do!. We can be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded. And we want to have a good time! And that’s what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna have a good time. We’re gonna have a party!!!

That's pretty much the point he made in the original post.

No it isn't. He said he wants to get a 'roawk' (rock) band together.
    It seems he does want to get some interesting and exciting sounds together, but the rock is not yet dropped.

For example, observe the general rebellious sentiments towards current musical trends. observe also the non-requirement for any standard musical competance, and note that the 'best' music has clearly been defined in terms of rebellious attitude - set in direct contrast to technical ability and academic musical knowledge.
    Also,
    if the above indications are not enough to show how 'rock' this really is - note that the entire project has been described not in terms of an 'artistic' statement, but again in terms of attitude.

The idea of a music which is defined by a rebellious attitude, and created in contrast to high technical music knowledge and the current musical establishment - is at the very heart of rock (& roll) - and this idea can be seen clearly in the original post.
    It is this idea which I suggest has run its useful course.

• Advertisement

You seem to getting hung up on the word "rock", and you seem to be using it mainly in reference to a rebellious attitude in contrast to technical abililty and academic musical knowledge, I qoute.
    First of all, punk is better suited to describe that. Bon Jovi are a rock band, yet they hardly make headlines for their rebellious streak, but I'm just splitting hairs here.
    Yer man made a comment referring to the fact that you don't have to be majorly technically proficient for him to want to make music with you.And he's dead right.
    I know a lot of guys who will just get up there and rock out with their cock out and they have followed,not intentionally, the formula which you say has run it's course. Get out and check out the local scene. Most bands are doing it that way. They're having fun for the songwriting and performances, but they get busy when it comes to promotion, recording etc.
    Now I could'nt really give a toss about all of this oul b0ll0cks, as my previous posts suggest, I was'nt really taking it seriously to begin with, but I just felt compelled to lash up a response.
    Mr Shootthemlater,best of luck with this, I'd say it'll be kickin'. If you're stuck for a lead player,give me a pm.
    Peace people,
    ROCK ON MOTHERFECKERS!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

for me, something that 'rocks' is something that gives me a tingle and makes me should "FVCK YEAH!!"

it dosnt need a 4/4 beat and axel rose shreeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

ferdi wrote:

Im looking foward to the backlash to all these spiky retro post punk 80s type bands like the gossip (hopefully it wont be a return to dance and godawful blando bands like travis in the late 90s). At least in the early to mid 90s there were new genres sprining up like grunge and dance rock and at least the power of the guitar was recognized as opposed to the way its strangulated nowadays with that crappy treble sound and the almost implicit ban on real guitar solos.

I agree with Brother A though, the only way for rock to move foward is to forget about being rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 desgento

but i think everyones reading into this a little to much, genre's are limiting i say just create music and if your up for that mr shootthemlater i'm in!:D

Advertisement