Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dublin area

Options
  • 03-01-2007 6:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hellow People,

I was browsing around on the net to look for a place to stay in the Dublin Area. Now its not hard to find a place to stay there except for the fact that its VERY expensive compared to the other places/cities surrounding Dublin. I know its the capitol but the difference is huuge in some cases!

Or..

Maybe im not searching properly ? So if anyone has any tips or comments please help me out :)

PS: Im not in .ie yet, but im moving there from South-Africa within the next few months. And Moderators, im sorry if this is the wrong section and would appreciate it if one could move to the proper section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the main issue is transport. If you live outside of Dublin, you will spend a lot of time commuting (that's assuming that you're working in Dublin). If you live in the city/suburbs, you have more options, but you pay for the priviledge.

Do you have work lined up, or have you a specific budget you'd like to stay within? Rents vary a lot within the city depending on the type of property and the area, we may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

House sharing is very popular in Dublin compared to other big cities where there is a larger and cheaper supply of single occupant dwellings. I know that many who come here don't realise this, so if you haven't looked at those listings on daft ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 debian4life

Wel i dont think i can make a proper budget for something like this. Living in South-Africa is totally different that living down there, for instance if i were to spend 1000 euros on a 2 bedroom appartment id make all the members of the Baath Party jeleous. But if id spend the same amount in Dublin, i think id be dissapointed in the value/location.

But as i said ive never been there so i dont know what to expect or where to draw the lines. I did however live in The Netherlands vor a very long time but it seems cheaper there aswell.

Im currently in discussion with a company in Dublin, wich means that ill be stationed there aswell.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that its going to be me and my brother. Ive also looked on DAFT.ie but not really happy with the results ive seen so far. PS: Does ireland have FTTH cities/ regions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its about striking a balance, incomes are higher, but so is the cost of living. Free things in life in South Africa (sunshine) are different to the free things in life in Ireland (rain). On the upside, in Ireland there are no property taxes, health care is affordable (but you will have to deal with some delays) and education is cheap. You need to strike a balance between salary, rent and travel.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that its going to be me and my brother. Ive also looked on DAFT.ie but not really happy with the results ive seen so far. PS: Does ireland have FTTH cities/ regions ?
    Do you mean "Fiber to the Home"? Internet access in Ireland can be very fickle, as these people will tell you http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=682

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Its usually much cheaper to move into a house/apartment that already has people living there rather than taking on a new lease on a place yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 debian4life

Victor wrote:
    Its about striking a balance, incomes are higher, but so is the cost of living. Free things in life in South Africa (sunshine) are different to the free things in life in Ireland (rain). On the upside, in Ireland there are no property taxes, health care is affordable (but you will have to deal with some delays) and education is cheap. You need to strike a balance between salary, rent and travel.

Do you mean "Fiber to the Home"? Internet access in Ireland can be very fickle, as these people will tell you http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=682

Wel to be honest i dont really care about sunshine at the moment, i just moved here after living 10years in The Netherlands so im kinda used to rain :)
    Ill just drop by South-Africa when i need some sun.

Africa isnt exactly "Tip-Top" if you want to build a future and raise your kids (someday). The majority of the people have just barely escaped poverty and we all know about the political situation of the past few years.

Plus i have to add the fact that i seriously need to live somewhere where they atleast have SOME broadband, unlike South-Africa eg $20 per gb!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MITCHDUFF

transport Is Your Main Issue. If I Was You Id Be Looking At Area's On The Outskirts Of Dublin. There Are Towns Such As Chapelizod Which Is Very Surburban And Private But You Are On The Mouth Of Town.
    Other Towns Would Be Kempton,raheny(3 Miles From Town), Palmerstown,marino,cabra,glasnevin

Easy Transport Routes Due To Good Service By Buses Trains And The Luas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

MITCHDUFF wrote:
    transport Is Your Main Issue. If I Was You Id Be Looking At Area's On The Outskirts Of Dublin. There Are Towns Such As Chapelizod Which Is Very Surburban And Private But You Are On The Mouth Of Town.
    Other Towns Would Be Kempton,raheny(3 Miles From Town), Palmerstown,marino,cabra,glasnevin

Easy Transport Routes Due To Good Service By Buses Trains And The Luas.

You can't really advise them on a spot to live in without knowing where they will be working. They could be planning to work in a company based in Sandyford for all we know.

Op, do you know what area the company you may be working for is based? And what your brother intends to do? The public transport in Dublin really is very poor and proximity to work will make all the difference to your standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please don't drag up old threads unnecessarily.

Advertisement