Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slide versus Jig...Can someone help?

Options
  • 02-01-2007 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm a guitarist, but enjoy figuring out a few traditional bits and pieces every so often. What I know so far is that a reel is 4/4, a double jig is 6/8, and a slide is 12/8.

My problem is that I have seen 'The Road to Lisdoonvarna' notated in 6/8 and 12/8, so is it a jig or a slide? 12/8 would suggest that each note in a bar gets the same emphasis, while 6/8 would suggest emphasising each pair of triplets within a bar - in short, it would 'swing' more. Anyway, any thoughts would be apreciated.

Also, if anyone knows any versions of this song that are definitely a slide as opposed to a jig, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

Check out www.thesession.org and you can hear and see samples of all these rhythms. The slide is a Kerry variant of a double jig. Listen to Dingle Regatta for a slide and The Kesh for a double jig and you'll hear the difference.
    Go n-eiri an ceol leat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

Gaothfar wrote:
    Go n-eiri an ceol leat

Thanks for the help! I'm on my way to the session to check it out - it's good to know that the two rhythms are linked, it may explain my confusion.

Advertisement