Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Retailer in Northern Ireland ?

Options
  • 31-12-2006 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering can anyone recommend a panasonic retailer in northern Ireland (pref around Newry). Am looking for Panasonic 42" Plasma. Retail here seems to be €1995 plus another €200 for the pedestal stand. The stand comes free in the UK & the pricing I've seen on-line is from around £795 (approx €1200) That's a huge difference.

Also; Is there any issues with buying a UK model ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tuner is different. Model name with UK tuner is 42PX60. Irish compatible tuner is 42PV60. You wont get a PV up the north but can get PV's in Germany.

UK tuners only tune the UHF band whereas Irish/Euro tuners tune UHF and VHF. For instance NTL analogue broadcast most of the channels on VHF and only 2 or 3 on UHF. A PV Uk set would only be able to tune in those 2 or 3 UHF channels.

Course its not an issue if you will be using the plasma with a separate set top box (STB), be it an analogue cable box (NTL etc), digital cable (NTL etc) Satellite (Sky etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Dixons seem to have the best up there. They're in Newry aswell.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks guys. Is it possible to install an Irish tuner into one of them (they used to be sold as add on units afaikr)

Which tuner it has wouldn't effect my decision, I'm always going to have digital TV so the price would be priority. Im looking around for the cheapest price for the 42PX60, I'll be buying in about a months time. At the moment I'll probably be heading up north rather than import from Europe but im keeping an eye on the prices everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Probably have digital too Fred, but I do like the option of having analogue for when NTL Digital (not really but sold as) goes boxy. Sky doesn't really interest me as I like the NTL package & am also hoping to get their broadband in 2007. Please keep me informed of your findings on price etc. Hadn't thought of europe for import (wouldn't know where to start) was just thinking of Newry as it's about 90 minutes away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Greetings all,
    I am looking at the th42pv600. Price in DID in Bray 2300.00 incl wall mount and delivery.
    Price in Dixons, for the th42px600 + Collect. 1469.99 (this is apprx. 2180.33) Stand extra. Then I would need some help carrying up two flights of stairs. and if there is a fault (hopefully none), I would need to put it back in the jeep and drive up north........

Is it worth the trip ????

Your thoughts pls.
    regards
    Silverski

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Guys have you seen some of the issues with these sets over on AVforums? seems to be some kind of purple band issues on some of these Panny's also saw another issue with Xbox360 where when playing Gears of War any sudden movement causes the picture to break up (it looks like a 3d movie with the colours seperated), its a pity as I thought Panasonic had good name in TV's, but production/cost cutting seems to be the order of the day.

Any Thoughts?

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hmm....glad I found this thread.
    Was looking at the PX60 in curry's Newry the other day.
    Sale price; £1199 stg including stand. They had 5 or so last saturday and I was very very tempted. Been toying with the idea of going back down and buying....wasn't aware of the different tuner issue and the post above about GoW on the 360 scared me off completely.
    Anyone still interested might try phoning and seeing if they have any left...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I got my PX60 from Dabs.com delivered with the cabinet stand all for about €1800. No purple snake issues on mine and no problems with GoW either. A lovely TV, imo. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Good Boy

I got my PX60 from Dabs.com delivered with the cabinet stand all for about €1800. No purple snake issues on mine and no problems with GoW either. A lovely TV, imo. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Wondering if your PX60 is tuner friendly for Irish tv i.e. VHF.
    best of luck with your new Tv.

Regards

Good Boy

• Advertisement

I dropped into Currys in Carrigmines the other day enquiring about the PX60 but they don't do Pannys in Ireland at all which surprised me because they do them in the UK.

Its definitely the TV I want but I'm in two minds as to where to get it. I can either get it cheaper on the net or pay more here and have the comfort of proximity if anything goes faulty.

The 'purple snakes' has concerned me but after reading threads over on AV forums (for hours) I still want this TV because of the superb picture quality, The vast majority of people didn't report ANY faults and some people with 'snakes' said that it was very minor and didn't notice it until they read about it.

I think we should post here where we can get good deals on this TV as the prices vary a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I see play.com have this TV for €1320 with pedestal or (from next week on) €1500 with cabinet (bargain IMO). That's inc of delivery.
    Such a shame they don't deliver south of the border.
    Have also seen it on a few german sites for ~1350 but stands and cabinets are extra (the cabinet especially; 540 quid?!)

Wonder why panasonic aren't supplied here by the dixons/currys/pcworld group; they seem to be readily available from higher priced Irish retailers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Slightly off topic here but does anybody know if Dixons in Newry will remove the VAT at source if you have an Irish Vat number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Head to richer sounds in belfast if you want a great panasonic plasma for a lot cheaper than currys. I got my Panasonic PWD6 from them and it worked really cheap compared to prices in the republic. They're really good to deal with as well.

They have a special offer on the 42" PX60 with pedastal stand at the moment. £899 or about €1350. I'm tempted myself to pick one of these up despite those purple banding issues as its still a very highly rated plasma and lots of people have been happy with it

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-TH42PX60-PED

Thats the UK website but if you go to richersounds.ie , get the phone number and give the guys a ring they'll either order you one in which doesnt take too long or they may offer you a deal on a display set. They also pretty much matched the uk price for me when I bought my plasma from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

FX Meister wrote:
    Slightly off topic here but does anybody know if Dixons in Newry will remove the VAT at source if you have an Irish Vat number?
    They should. I'm buying tiles and bathroom stuff in Armagh (sexy eh?) and they're not charging VAT as it's considered an export.

I was reading another thread in this forum and came across the px60
    Topvisionshop.de 1234 euro plus delivery but it doesn't come with a stand/ped/bracket

http://www.topvision-online.de/details.html?item=861568234575a8de6fc33&sessid=204162580545a23a5e2668e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Good Boy wrote:
    Wondering if your PX60 is tuner friendly for Irish tv i.e. VHF.
    best of luck with your new Tv.

Regards

Good Boy

No. I've got my VHF channels coming through my Panny DMRES15 which has an Irish tuner. I already had the recorder, so it wasn't a big deal for me not to buy the PV60.

No option to change locations/country on the PX model.

Advertisement