Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pharmacy career plan

Options
  • 31-12-2006 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

Im 28 years old , I have a diploma in Analytical chemistry and 3 years experience in the pharmaceutical/medical device field,I dont mind what im doing but the money is crap.

I am thinking of going back to college next year to do pharmacy because I have an interest in that sort of thing plus I heard the money is good too and you dont have to work shift.

I have a few questions that I need answers to?

1.I have heard form reading this site that for some reason pharmacists wont earn as much as they used to due to more competition and the market being bought up by big investors,how true is this ? and what can a graduate expect to start on and eventually earn?I heard for this reason it will be nearly impossible to own your own business,70-80k after 3-4years experience years is my expectation

2. If i do this I will be 29 when I start,have I left it too late?

3.what are my chances of getting a place?how difficult is the interview and if i was to get an interview from all 3 universities(ucc,trinity,rcsi) would the one I have listed as my third preference be less likely to offer me a place because its my last choice?

4.Im living in cork but I wouldnt mind moving to dublin I just have the feeling trinity would be the coolist place to do it?I realise they are all accredited course's but there not exactly the same either,where is the hardest/easiest to do it?

5.also If i do this I will need a part time job, is it possible to do this course whille working parttime, this is another reason doing it dublin might be better as a parttime job would be easier to come by there.

I know this is a bit long but I appreciate all of your help

thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Im living in cork but I wouldnt mind moving to dublin I just have the feeling trinity would be the coolist place to do it?

also If i do this I will need a part time job, this is another reason doing it dublin might be better as a parttime job would be easier to come by there.

Don't have the answer to the rest of your questions and maybe the mature students forum might: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832.

Just a point on your interest in moving to Dublin. I know the idea of going away to college is great, but the reality is very different. Sure, if the course wasn't available in Cork, then you'd have no choice, but wouldn't it be a serious strain on you financially and, as a result, emotionally, to move to a much more expensive city for - what is it? Four or five years? When the course is on offer at your doorstep? But that's just a point I wanted to put to you. Obviously it's your choice. However, I went to college in Dublin last year (DCU) to do a masters in something that wasn't available at home (also Cork) and it was great but could get tough. And this was only for one year. Just a bit of advice, that's all.
    Don't know if you went to UCC but I did for my undergraduate, and it's a great college. Absolutely loved it. I'm the same age as you and I can understand you wanting to get away - Cork can get a bit too small at times - but if you go to college in Cork, you'll be more able to afford to go away for a few months during the summers of your degree.
    As for getting a part-time job, I'd say the same would apply in either city. Plus, you'd have further to travel from place to place in Dublin, and it would take you longer, in more traffic. At least everything is close together in Cork.

Finally, my advice on the broad question of going back to college to study pharmacy would be: Go for it! Absolutely no doubt about it.

Good luck.

Advertisement