Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

john locke was a real person!!!!

Options
  • 30-12-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

John Locke
    First published Sun Sep 2, 2001; substantive revision Wed Sep 26, 2001

John Locke (b. 1632, d. 1704) was a British philosopher, Oxford academic and medical researcher, whose association with Anthony Ashley Cooper (later the First Earl of Shaftesbury) led him to become successively a government official charged with collecting information about trade and colonies, economic writer, opposition political activist, and finally a revolutionary whose cause ultimately triumphed in the Glorious Revolution of 1688. Much of Locke's work is characterized by opposition to authoritarianism. This opposition is both on the level of the individual person and on the level of institutions such as government and church. For the individual, Locke wants each of us to use reason to search after truth rather than simply accept the opinion of authorities or be subject to superstition. He wants us to proportion assent to propositions to the evidence for them. On the level of institutions it becomes important to distinguish the legitimate from the illegitimate functions of institutions and to make the corresponding distinction for the uses of force by these institutions. The positive side of Locke's anti-authoritarianism is that he believes that using reason to try to grasp the truth, and determining the legitimate functions of institutions will optimize human flourishing for the individual and society both in respect to its material and spiritual welfare. This in turn, amounts to following natural law and the fulfillment of the divine purpose for humanity. Locke's monumental An Essay Concerning Human Understanding concerns itself with determining the limits of human understanding in respect to God, the self, natural kinds and artifacts, as well as a variety of different kinds of ideas. It thus tells us in some detail what one can legitimately claim to know and what one cannot. Locke also wrote a variety of important political, religious and educational works including the Two Treatises of Government, the Letters Concerning Toleration, The Reasonableness of Christianity and Some Thoughts Concerning Education.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/locke/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Yeah that was picked up on and posted before, but the little paragraph on him was a nice read, so thanks for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

And?

there are plenty of people in the world who have the same names as other people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Ah yes John Locke, the philosopher. He's not the only philosopher's name to have appeared on Lost. There is also a philosopher chap called Rousseau (like Dannielle) and another David Hume (like Desmond David Hume).

I saw a theory on a different website that explained the whole mystery of Lost through this fact. It was very good.

But I don't think it means anything past mind games by those in charge or lazy writing, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

no ****

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeah, I think 75% of the characters were named from characters in other books, beit fiction or not
    CiaranC wrote:
    no ****
    cornflakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

robnubis wrote:
    And?

there are plenty of people in the world who have the same names as other people...
    Did you read the discription on him. It fits the Locke from lost pretty well too. Theres probably been a person in history with a name to match every character on lost, but not all would be that so closr as in the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Similar?

john-locke.jpg

Locke.jpg

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Similar?

john-locke.jpg

Locke.jpg

;-)
    lol NO...but its ok...your on 108 posts !! like me...well was.. pretty sad of me for even sayin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yeah I heard that, a lot of other characters have the same name as other people as well, but I don't know how important it is. I suppose it's just a nice addition so it'll keep fanatics busy looking for simalarities.

Interesting though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

This information is literally years old. After the first episode in season 1 people were talking about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

stevejazzx wrote:
    This information is literally years old. After the first episode in season 1 people were talking about it...

well arent you great!

:rolleyes:

fair enough but before you post your next masterstroke, possibly a quick search!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

i would say i know quite a lot about lost and i am puzzled how this one got by me.

If you do a search here you'll see that the John Lockes discovery was made after the first episode. If you joined lost a bit late then it's easily concievable that you may of of missed it.

I think this was the first post posted on the 15/01/2005...2 years ago.

[quote=bonkey on thefuselage.com)
    01-15-2005, 01:39 PM #1 banksy vbmenu_register("postmenu_55393", true);

Economy
    star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif

collapse_thead.gifAdditional Info ProfileJoin Date: January 7, 2005

StatsPosts: 294

john locke the philosopher
    do you think there is a deliberate reason why locke's name happen to be also that of a famous philospher? A bit of info:

FIRST published in 1690, twenty editions of the Essay Concerning Human Understanding had appeared before 1700. Extending to some three hundred thousand words, seventeen years were spent on its preparation. The design of the work, Locke explains, is to inquire "into the origin, certainty and extent of human knowledge, together with the grounds and degrees of belief, opinion and assent." Locke's resolute devotion to truth, his instant surrender to the proven fact, his distrust of the emotional, his tolerance, are conspicuous in the Essay.

[THE NATURE OF SIMPLE IDEAS - LOCKE - FROM AN ESSAY CONCERNING HUMAN UNDERSTANDING]

i thought that was kind of interesting. i wonder if it means anything?

sorry if this has already been brought up. :P

[/quote]

Notice he actually apologises for the fact that it may of already been brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

came across this thread and just had to post this. i was reading a finance article for one of my courses and it mentioned the economist john locke and sitting in the library with about ten people and over 100 seats this guy sat beside me for no more than one minute and got up and left and the books that he left on the table where by john locke! weird or what?!? a freakish coincidence maybe!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Kind of shocked that this is a surprise to anybody. The connection definitely isn't accidental. What about Desmond David Hume? David Hume was also a famous British philosopher, he came just after John Locke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hume He was also Scottish, as is the dude that plays his namesake in Lost. Still trying to figure out any real connections between Lost's Locke and Hume and the real Locke and Hume though, doesn't seem to be much there apart from a pretty poor attempt at being intellectual by the makers of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

John Locke also owned a famous whickey distillery in Kilbeggan, Co. Westmeath.

http://www.iol.ie/wmeathtc/lockes/

Advertisement