Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stretch marks

Options
  • 30-12-2006 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have always had a few strech marks on my inner thigh but I've noticed them appearing all over my body..
    At the back of my upper arms, on my breasts and around the back of my waist.

I have used bio oil on them to try to reduce the appearance of them but they are just getting worse and worse. I put on about a stone a year ago but haven't really put on much more other than the odd few pounds here and there that I lose as quickly.
    Does anybody know if there are any other treatments I can try to reduce the amount of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I think you just get them if you have fair skin which is by it's nature thinner than tanned sallow skin... I feel your pain cos I've some on my thighs etc as well and am really conscious of them
    The bio oil is a good idea and I've never tried that - I get out of the shower and use a mix of Nivea moisturisor and Palmers Cocoa Butter (about 7.99 in boots) on damp skin to lock-in the moisture ( I do slather it on in large quantities)
    As well as your natural skin tendencies - I think you really have to try to keep your weight down to a certain level and not let it fluctuate too much. (I'm 9 and a half stone and I need to be 8 or so for my height).
    Do all you can to get moving and improve your circulation which will in turn nourish your skin.
    If you have a lot of sugar in your diet - cut it down because sugar weakens collagen in the skin and breaks down it's strength.
    Eat salmon and nuts etc for good oils and drink plenty of water.

In terms of reducing the ones already there - I'd use Palmers Cocoa Butter products or an actual oil designed to reduce the appearance of scars.

There's lots of girls I know with marks - you don't have to be massively overweight to get them so don't feel too bad and just do the best you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilrayosunshine

Really? cutting out sugar can help? I can easily do that.. i prefer fruit to chocolate and tend to just eat it when everyone else is having it.
    Do you know if the natural sugars in fruit are ok?

I have been away from the gym for a couple of months as a lot has been happening, but I'm heading back on Wed. might ask them to re-do my programme more to lose weight than just to keep fit!

Thanks a mil for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Refined sugar is the bad stuff - I'd say Fruit is no problem... If you don't eat a lot of sugar anyway it might not make any difference - just going on what I've read myself...

I have to drag myself to the gym too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I agree, the Palmer's Cocoa Butter is excellent for stretch marks, even for the post pregnancy, side of the belly ones. You do have to really slather it on though.

Advertisement