Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI-I to VGA cables?

Options
  • 30-12-2006 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a Phillips 15" 15PF4121 flatscreen for Christmas and I want to connect my laptop to it so I can watch my movies saved to my laptop on it.

The tv has a s-video 4 pin connection but on my laptop which is 2 years old, it has a 7 pin s-video connection and I'm not sure if a 4-pin cable will work on it.

A shop told me that if both my laptop and tv had a vga connection then I could hook the two...my laptop does but since my tv is new, it has the new DVI-I connection.

Does anyone know if I can still connect the two...if there are DVI-I to VGA cables or if a 4pin s-video cable will work on a 7-pin connection for the laptop.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

DVI-I is a combination of DVI-D [Digital] & DVI-A [Analogue] so if your display supports DVI-I that means it should accept an analogue signal via a VGA to DVI-A cable.

Alternatively get a VGA to DVI adapter then use a DVI cable to link them (the adapter outputs DVI-A).

Lastly the 4 pin s-video is compatible with the 7 pin s-video on the notebook in the vast majority of cases so that should work with a normal s-video cable as well though you will of course get much better image quality via the VGA/DVI link.

The resolution of the TV is 1024x768 so keep that in mind if you want to clone the display from your desktop onto the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

dont forget s video/vga/dvi only carry video you will still need to hook up your audio

@8T8 is the 1024x768 resolution the normal resolution you will get on crt tv?if you want to clone your pc display to your crt tv using s video do both monitors have to be set to the lower resolution

Advertisement