Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap tenon saws??

Options
  • 30-12-2006 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a cheap tenon saw but I'm not sure which of the cheapo versions should be avoided at all costs. Bahco are supposed to be a reasonable brand. Then there's Jack, a Danish company that I don't know much about. Silverline also do cheap stuff but I've always thought their quality - even for that price - was cr@p.

Any advice:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I think I'll pick up a Bahco one that's going on ebay new for about £2.99. I'm always on the look out for vintage ones though as they have far superior steel and haven't been electronically hardened so you can sharpen them. Problem is I still haven't mastered sharpening (...of any sort) and so need a cheap off the shelf version pronto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

MT wrote:
    I think I'll pick up a Bahco one that's going on ebay new for about £2.99. I'm always on the look out for vintage ones though as they have far superior steel and haven't been electronically hardened so you can sharpen them. Problem is I still haven't mastered sharpening (...of any sort) and so need a cheap off the shelf version pronto!

I've bought Bahco handsaws in the past and find them excellent; they are produced by a Sandvik (Swedish) subsidiary and are well regarded for their quality. Is Silverline a Draper line? I have a Spear and Jackson tennon saw myself, which was pretty reasonable in cost and does the job and is resharpenable. I also have a (cheap 80's) Disston tennon saw which cuts well. I would like to try one of the Victor saws from Axminster sometime this year, AFAIK these are produced by the makers of Clifton planes (Clico Tooling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I decided not to go for the Bahco version (I'd heard they were connected to Sandvik in some way) as I saw one in a shop the other day and realised they were filed rip as opposed to crosscut. Now of course, muggins here should have realised that tenon saws are MEANT to be rip saws for cutting tenons along the grain but I'd somehow convinced myself that modern manufacturers had tailored there products to the 'weekend warrior' market and so would sell only crosscuts.... which, to get to the point, is what I need.

So I've now set my sights on a cheap silverline as they have teeth ground on three sides like Japanese teeth and so must be filled crosscut. So despite my hangups about the brand I think I'll go for a Silverline on ebay.:rolleyes:

Advertisement