Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling, how much and where?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been through a rough period over the past 6 months and it's led me to suffer from depression. I was hoping to visit a counsellor but am not sure how much it's going to cost. I am working but cannot really afford much. Can anyone provide some guidance on cost and possibly recommend someone in the south dublin area.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Your gp will have a list of people for you to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thaedydal wrote:
    Your gp will have a list of people for you to try.
    Aye.

The fact that you're asking about councellors and prices leads me to believe that you've self-diagnosed yourself with depression, in many cases you may not even need counselling. I'd suggest going and talking to your GP first off, theres a lot of medication out there for depression and your GP can recommend/prescribe you some. They're not the cure, but they're a crutch to help you out of it. The rest depends on yourself. Unless theres background issues causing the depression and its just a case where a lot of bad things have happened and you're stuck in a rough spot, its unlikely that you will actually need to see a cousellor tbh.

Either way, go have a talk with your GP, they're there to help afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not to keen on taking drugs for this and that's why I asked about counsellors. Something happened about 6 months ago and it's really affected me badly. I'm constantly down and any slight thing that goes wrong I nearly break into tears (I've done so when people aren't around). I was not like this before the incident and just felt that counselling might be the best option.

I'll go to my GP and see what he says. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 girl25

hi ur advert caught my eye.
    Firstly i do agree with the other posts u need to see ur gp before u start jumping to the conclusions that u suffer from depression, they are the experts but if u go the gp u need to be fully honest with them or they cant help ya.

Secondly ppl sumtimes automatically blame depression for probs when they all come to gether, in all fairness sumtimes alot of probs coming to gether at once can cause u to be down alright but not depressed as in a way u think u need medical help.

so go ur gp and if u are given the result that u have depression then i reccomend counselling is the way to go, they are very good if u get the right one.

And from personnel expericence if u do have depression and they prescribe medication i wudnt opt for that as i feel medication is only really for ppl who have a chemical imbalance. counselling gets to root of prob and i before any one criticises my view on this i do know what i am talking about as i know alot about it from personnel experience and friends and family and in the end counselling was always the route that got them better.

Do let us know how u get on if u do go ur gp.

ps if u do go a counsellor before going ur gp the counsellor will assess u btw ppl dont realise that they will chat with ya and tell ya if u really have depression or not as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I know a friend who's gettting sessions for €50 per hour - think it's usually a bit more expensive but your GP's bound to have someone in that ballpark/

• Advertisement

I'm not to keen on taking drugs for this and that's why I asked about counsellors. Something happened about 6 months ago and it's really affected me badly. I'm constantly down and any slight thing that goes wrong I nearly break into tears (I've done so when people aren't around). I was not like this before the incident and just felt that counselling might be the best option.

I'll go to my GP and see what he says. Thanks.

What kind of incident is it that you need advice/help with? Health? Relationship? Family? Work?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

gp is the only way to go for referral to counsellor and if youre on low income you can avail of health board counsellor for free, you can avail of this anyway but youll be put on waiting list is only prob. Usually sessions are about 50/60 quid each

• Registered Users Posts: 18 girl25

i know of a counsellor u dont need to be referred to she costs 55 euro and she assesses u on first meet to see if its counselling u really need

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

You don't need a GP referral to see a psychologist and it's possible a 10 minute consultation with a GP is too short a time for the GP to determine accurately whether or not you need one. If you feel that you need to see one then you probably do.

As other's have posted an hour's consultation costs between €50 - €60. It's recommended that you attend for a minimum of 6 sessions. It's possible to get evening sessions if daytime sessions interfere with work etc.

It's well worth doing if you are feeling blue for six months or more then it's a good idea to do something about it.

'
    reply wrote:
    What kind of incident is it that you need advice/help with? Health? Relationship? Family? Work?

I'd rather not get into specifics as people know me on here and might put 2+2 together.

Thanks for all the help. I might PM a few of you (with my normal username of course) to get those phone numbers if you don't mind.

€50-60 seem reasonable, I was expecting over a €100 per session. Evening sessions are also a must.

Again thank you.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Clinical Psychologists range from €70 - €100 per hour. Cehck out this website to find a psychologist in your area. Psychotherapists are usually a bit cheaper and probably your next best bet. Check out here to find a psychotherpaist in your area. You can also find the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy here. There prices range from €25 - €55 euro per hour. Who you go see really depends on the type and severity of your problem.

Advertisement