Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony VGN-N11M/W

Options
  • 29-12-2006 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

What's your opinion on the following Sony laptop? Do you think it's good value for money? I don't specifically need a laptop, but I thought it might be worth picking this up. I can put it on my account at work and pay it off weekly without any interest.

My only option is Sony as we don't really sell any other laptops and I'm not so fussed about actually getting one as I have a decent enough desktop.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=9873

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Two things - it has an express card slot, whereas most laptops use the (older) PCMCIA slot. There are not a lot of Express Card format cards knocking around yet, but that will change.

Also, it doesn't give any details on the graphics card. This may not be important to you as you have a desktop.

Other than that, some people love Sony (myself included), some people hate Sony.

You are paying over the odds for Sony, but for that you get build quality and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for the feedback Tom. The graphics card doesn't bother me too much as really it would just be a doss machine. Surfing the web, playing music, perhaps some photoshop. It's definetly not going to be used for any gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,156 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

powercity have a similar sony, bit more memory, but its 1130euro http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-30-NN11S
    so that 900 for this laptop seems okay
    i have had problems with an old sony laptop but still like the style of most of their laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm on my second Sony Vaio laptop and I'm very pleased with them. You pay a bit extra for the brand and the style, but also for the customer support. When the DVD drive broke on my last Vaio while it was still in warranty, the support guys sent out a DHL guy the next day to pick it up. It was back less than a week later with a new DVD drive and a renewed warranty for the drive. They even cleaned out the dust from the fans etc! Total cost for this: nada.

Be sure to hang on to your receipt and register your Vaio online the minute you get it though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

The N Series is also the entry level Vaio so unless you're just using it for personal use and nothing too heavy then, the N Series is probably perfect. I've become accostomed to the FE Series. In the process of getting my 2nd Vaio soon enough. Probably the 41S

• Advertisement
Advertisement