Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture that supports meditation positions

Options
  • 28-12-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get into meditation but I'm as flexible as a pane of glass. Can anyone recommend a special purpose chair or something to help?

I did a quick google but only found things that make you look cool while meditating, or furniture that support positions that are advanced, such as full lotus - so I decided it would be best to get practical advice from someone before I go spending money.

By the way, if it can double up as a computer/office chair, that's a plus :)

Thanks for reading,
    Merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

merlin_bar wrote:
    I'm trying to get into meditation but I'm as flexible as a pane of glass. Can anyone recommend a special purpose chair or something to help?
    Sorry, I have no idea on this, I have never used anything other than a couple of large cushions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

But it is a good idea, well I would get some anyway.

Sorry no help here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

merlin_bar wrote:

I did a quick google but only found things that make you look cool while meditating, or furniture that support positions that are advanced, such as full lotus - so I decided it would be best to get practical advice from someone before I go spending money.

By the way, if it can double up as a computer/office chair, that's a plus :)

Thanks for reading,
    Merlin

Half lotus (if I'm remembering the actual thing correctly) is easier to do since it's close-ish to crosslegged. Sitting on the front edge of a cushion with most of your legs on the ground is usually easy enough? The point of those positions, I think, is to ensure your back stays straight(among other reasons anyway), as just sitting cross legged (so far as I find) isn't comfy on the back.
    If you want to use a chair, you don't need anything fancy. Find a normal chair, maybe wooden, and sit up straight. Don't hold your back rigidly and don't slump back.
    Here, this sums it up nicely:
    http://www.wildmind.org/meditation/posture/chair.html

Meditating isn't about doing anything fancy. Sit, breathe normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

bluewolf wrote:

Very nice link, bluewolf! Lots of good stuff there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mary777

The lotus chair is fantastic.

http://www.agoy.com/agoyloves/lotus-chair.asp?aid=1204

The Irish distributer is Pauldavispaul@yahoo.ie contact 01 4939137

• Advertisement
Advertisement