Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraceptive pill question

Options
  • 28-12-2006 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi girls,

i've just recently started using the pill as my only method of contraception. This may sound like a silly question but i'm wondering about the in's and outs of the 7 day break..

If i've taken the last pill in the pack yesterday evening, having not missed any pills from that pack, and then had intercourse with my partner lastnight (i'm due to start the 7 day break today) is there any need to run 2 packs together or will I be covered from the pill i took yesterday?

Hope this makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should be covered, if you have taken the 21 previous pills correctly. The pill works by preventing ovulation, so should be no egg present for sperm to fertilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But if i'm due to start the break today that means i'm due my period in a few days so does it still count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

If you have taken the pills correctly over the last 21 days, you are fully protected during your seven day break also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IF you tookt he proceeding 21 pills correctly and have not taken any antibios then you should not get pregant.

The oral contraceptive pill fools your body into thinking that you are pregant so it does not relase an egg from your ovaries, so there is no egg for the sperm to inpregnant.

The break stops your body thinking you are pregnant and when it senses that there is no egg released it clears away the lining of your womb and you have a period.

Really if you are unsure how any persription medication you are on workd talk to your dr or your chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But should i use extra contraception during the break then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Does the instruction leaflet not explain this to you it should.

If you are THAT unsure about the effectiveness of your perscribed medication ring your gp and check with them.

From a perspective of safter sex and sti's unless you and your partner has been tested recently you should use a barrier contraceptive as in a condom or a femidom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You appear to have a serious lack of knowledge about the contraceptive pill. Read very carefully the leaflet that came with the pill. If you still have more questions, then contact either your GP or pharmacist.

Nobody should be taking any form of prescription drug whose effects they do not understand.

Advertisement