Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long before i can take a test?

Options
  • 28-12-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Look don't want a lecture about responsibility its a little late for that.
    Took a stupid chance last friday...just wondering how long you have to wait to take a pregnancy test?really just wanna clear my mind-probably not.

How many days before its acuraate?!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hmmmm

I'm pretty sure you have to wait till the first day of your missed period for fairly accurate testing. I think some tests can work a few days before your period is due. Go into a pharmacy and ask them about the tests they have as I think each test varies a bit.

I don't supposed you took the morning after pill?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Apparently they can be accurate very quickly, even before you have missed your period. I dont know specifically but it would give you an indication on the box depending on which test you buy. Pregnancy tests these days are v. accurate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It can take quite a while after the act for you to be pregnant. It depends on your ovulation status and other things.

Implantation 'generally' (it's different for everyone) takes place about 6 days after conception, it is the implantation hormone (hCG) that pregnancy tests look for - this is why you can't have a false positive, but can have a false negative. A minority of women implant as late as the first day of the next due period.

To be sure, one week after the due period, but you may get a result on the day your period is due. Test early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

Sorry to hear that, it must be very stressful for you :(

Most tests are accurate from what should have been the first day of your next period, so about 12-15 days after you ovulated. You can get early detection tests which will let you know a little sooner, it's explained quite clearly here:
    http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/pregnancy-tests/early-pregnancy-tests.htm
    Whereabouts in your cycle were you? That can tell you something about your chances of being pregnant.

Did you take a morning after pill? If not, it's too late for that, but you might still be in time to get a copper IUD (coil) as emergency contraception. If you'd consider that, get in touch with your doctor immediately.

you might also want to get yourself tested for STIs, unless you were with your long term partner and you have already both been tested...

Hope all works out well for you, take care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Botswana

CharLit wrote:
    you might also want to get yourself tested for STIs, unless you were with your long term partner and you have already both been tested...

How did I know someone was going to say that? :)

You know, it's quite normal to have condomless sex. After all, that's the way it's supposed to be done. The "sex leads to diseases" mentality which is so prevalent these days is kind of sad. (I'm not attacking you CharLit.) I know there are diseases out there, but we really shouldn't associate sex with diseases, considering we've only just gotten over the sex and sin association. (IMO, the sex = diseases is a direct and purposeful replacement of the sex = sin mentality.)

But enough of that. Sorry to rant.

possibly preg: do you have a regular cycle? Can you calculate when you ovulate? This may put your mind at rest for a few days until you can take a test. Remind yourself that worrying will only make things worse (i.e. worrying will have zero positive benefits.) What's done is done.

Good luck. Most likely you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Botswana wrote:
    You know, it's quite normal to have condomless sex. After all, that's the way it's supposed to be done. The "sex leads to diseases" mentality which is so prevalent these days is kind of sad. (I'm not attacking you CharLit.) I know there are diseases out there, but we really shouldn't associate sex with diseases, considering we've only just gotten over the sex and sin association. (IMO, the sex = diseases is a direct and purposeful replacement of the sex = sin mentality.)

People dying from athasma, eplisy, diabetes and sphyillis used to be prefectly natural too.

This forum promotes safer sex untless you and your partner have had sti screening, an unwanted pregancy for the most part will not kill a person hiv/aids will and many sti are life long conditions when contracted and if they are not they can have long reaching effect like infertilty if the are not treated and some of them are asymptomatic.

With the soaring rates in people contracting sti and the lack of education this matter for many young people the mantra's of
    don't be stupid , don't be silly wear a condom on your willy
    still need to be push home to people.

OP a First Response early result pregnancy test can detect the pregnancy hormone as early as 4 days before you expect your period but it is better if you use it on the day you would expect your period.
    Most chemist will carry these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hmmmm

Botswana wrote:
    How did I know someone was going to say that?
    I don't know, maybe because it is a logical question to ask?:rolleyes:
    Botswana wrote:
    ...because you cannot get an STI from having unprotected sex...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

What Thaedydal said!

Don't know about Ireland, Botswana, but over here in NL all STIs are on the rise, esp. HIV amongst gay men and heterosexual women, chlamydia and syphilis. Warning people about the risks of sex is not intended to scare them off it, but to make sure they protect themselves as much as possible. No different from locking your doors against burglars, looking right and left before you cross a road, or having a firewall on your computer: nobody's saying you should never leave the house or have internet, but why not take whatever precautions you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

I used first response 4 days before period due and it was correct in saying I was up the damien - fyi tests rarely give false positives but can give false negatives so youre better off waiting till period is missed - about a week I reckon -to be sure before you test - the waiting will do you good coz I doubt youll make same mistake twice! Hope you get the result you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Just to re-iterate with Jotter said -

I got two negatives on Clearblue, but got a positive straight away on First Response. It is entirely possible to have false negatives, but not false positives. The hCG hormone (the "pregnancy hormone) is either there or its not, hence no false positives. I think perhaps the First Response is just more sensitive to detecting hCG than the Clearblue.

Good luck - hope you get the result you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement