Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated Digital Tuner

Options
  • 28-12-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Is it worth it?

Given that we all use Sky digital or NTL (if we have to. sigh) is the extra money for the tuner worth it?

I say this cos I'm oggling this. But it doesn't have the tuner inbuilt.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319763

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

The digital tuner isn't much use in Ireland. Most, if not all new tvs sold in the UK have them because they're switching over to digital and ditching analoge totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

bennyx_o wrote:
    The digital tuner isn't much use in Ireland. Most, if not all new tvs sold in the UK have them because they're switching over to digital and ditching analoge totally.

That's what I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Also the DVB-T tuners in the UK are all set to decode MPEG-2 only whereas the DVB-T trials ongoing here supposedly will also be testing MPEG-4 AVC along with MPEG-2 .

Now whether they actually end up using MPEG-4 AVC is another matter (I'd be amazed if they did) but if they did the tuner could not decode the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I have a Samsung 32" with DVBT, I'm in Dublin North and have my own rooftop antenna and get nearly all the Digital channels available from N.I. (Divis) plus the test broadcasts for RTE1,2 - TV3 and TG4. The N.I. channels are great in good weather, OK in cloudy conditions with some breakup. (When the weather picks up a bit I intend to peak the antenna and install a higher gain head-amp to help things along abit.) RTE etc are fine all the time.

If you live close to the North of the 26 counties or get your (strong) signal from Divis then go for it. Obviously disregard this if you're on cable.

ZEN

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ZENER wrote:
    I have a Samsung 32" with DVBT, I'm in Dublin North and have my own rooftop antenna and get nearly all the Digital channels available from N.I. (Divis) plus the test broadcasts for RTE1,2 - TV3 and TG4. The N.I. channels are great in good weather, OK in cloudy conditions with some breakup. (When the weather picks up a bit I intend to peak the antenna and install a higher gain head-amp to help things along abit.) RTE etc are fine all the time.

If you live close to the North of the 26 counties or get your (strong) signal from Divis then go for it. Obviously disregard this if you're on cable.

ZEN

What kind of set up do you have to get freeview in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Cheers Guys,
    I'm in Dublin but as I've got NTL (and no antenna - the joys of apt living) the picking up the channels from the north probably isn't much of an issue for me.

Didn't realise you could pick them up though. Might be handy info for my gf's folks in Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I haven't seen the Panasonic but their projectors are anything to go by (I have the PAE-500) then they should be good. I have a Samsung 32" connected to a high gain Headamp and 120 element UHF band A antenna on a 15ft pole on the side of the house.

ZEN

Advertisement