Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Component Input?

Options
  • 28-12-2006 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I got me a 42" HD Ready Plasma for Christmas, and I hooked up the DVD/AMP/SD Sky box and I wouldn't be overly impressed with the picture quality. It got me wondering if I have plugged them in correctly.

Until now, I never heard of a Component Input and I can't find what there are? My DVD/AMP is pretty old and has a 3 colour pin output (Y,R,W) and the Sky box is standard Scart. I have the Sky in AV1 but I have no idea what the component ports on the HDTV are, there are labeled with strange subscript characters.

I am coming from a 32" Sony Wega CRT, and I have to say the HDTV doesn't come near matching it for quality.

Any help, suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

those yellow red white are just standard connection cables, composite. the yellow is for picture and the red and white are for audio. if your dvd has component output it will give the best picture available. i would recommend getting a HDMI dvd player, such as the panasonic dvd-s52 for bout €150.

your old crt was one of the best, cant beat sony for crt. what make is the plasma?? if its not a top brand then u will notice a differnce. if it is a top brand then it should be far superior to the crt....

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Its an LG, reviews around the place seem to say its a good model. I'm not sure these connections are composite, there are standard composite too, but these look really strange.

Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

azzeretti wrote:
    I am coming from a 32" Sony Wega CRT, and I have to say the HDTV doesn't come near matching it for quality.

Any help, suggestions would be great.

Firstly, the CRT would have a superiour picture until you get a HD broadcast. You are currently watching SD broadcasts, so they would look better on the CRT.

Your component connections will be Green, Blue and Red, with lables like Y, BY, RY.

Quality goes from Video, S-Video, Component to HDMI. Always use the best you can.

Advertisement