Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic DUI??

Options
  • 27-12-2006 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'll keep this short people, but I am having a major conscious crisis, A person who I know who is a complete alcoholic nearly killed me only yesterday with his pathetic attempts to drive while heavily drunk. I was tempted to report him there and then but said I will give him another chance with it being the festive season and all.

However I seen him stagger out of the pub again today and get behind the wheel again totally p1ssed. I know it is only a matter of time before he kills someone or himself, and he is such a prat about the whole thing, being a close family friend. I said "hey fella you'd want to go easy when your'e in a state or better still, not drive at all" He replys, "you little s*it, that'll teach you to keep in, in the future won't it, you cheeky young brat", He being 10 or 12 yrs older than me.

How would I report him for his Drink Driving, I don't want to walk into the station and say Mr. X was drink driving go breathalyse him as it may get out I reported him and I'd be blamed. I was thinking of writing an anonymous letter and sending it to the Superintendent as you are as likely to catch the Local Gardai Drink Driving as you are this fella.

If this is not the right forum please move it, but it is bugging my conscious and seems as I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I went Unreg for this one as this fella's GF frequents Boards and knows my Nick on here, so obviously don't want her finding out.

Help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilrayosunshine

Very brave of you to report him..
    You can call Garda Confidential and report him anonymously. try to have his registration plate when you call!!

Good Luck.. really is very brave of you, I wish there were more people like you around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've generally just phoned the nearest garda station and given them the location, description of the car (with license number if I had it) and what direction they were travelling and a vague description of the degree of inebriation (since if you don't say something like "the way s/he's driving I'll be surprised if they don't have some sort of accident" they probably won't bother doing anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Please report him. i don't want to be the person he kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You've done the right thing. Anyone with half a brain has to recognise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Aye, well done on reporting him, definately the right move. He shouldn't be on the roads, hes a danger to himself and everyone else on the road with him and deserves to have his license taken off him to give him a chance to reflect on his pathetic behaviour (and stop him killing himself/others).

Oh and just to add, never ever get into a car with a drunk driver, no matter how coherent they may or may not appear at the time.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'll copy what the others have said and suggest you report this person as soon as possible. It's obvious that he has no problem with getting behind the wheel of a car when drunk. Think about how you'd feel if he killed or maimed someone and wrecked many lives.

The sooner something's done about it, the better. The fact that you want to ring the guards shows that you've got more backbone than other people in this guy's life (including his gf). Maybe it might help him get his life back on track. You don't have to give a name when reporting. If you want, ring from a public phone box so your number won't be traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No doubt about this one - have to report it. Might even do the guy some good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you don't have the number of the local Garda station to hand, its justifiable to dial 999.

Teh last thing you want on the local Christmas tree is a little white cross and a bunch of flowers.

Advertisement