Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ship Models

Options
  • 27-12-2006 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    I build ship models so I am always looking for exotic woods to build my ships, they are scaled and built from scratch. Thanks Den
    [IMG][/img]th_LargePhoto-1.jpgth_000_1842.jpg[IMG][/img]th_000_1824.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

BLOODY 'ELL! :eek: Is that one of your pieces?? Thats amazing! What size is that model (ie, rough lenght and height). All them decorations on the stern and bow, they are all from wood too? Have you got any more?

I have a half completed model of the Titanic built from scratch sitting in the shed waiting for completion (been there for about two years now :o ....must get around to completing it).

EDIT: just had a look at your homepage............have to pick my jaw up off the floor now, amazing stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 densships

Thanks for the visit and for the kind words CroppyBoy1798.
    The scale of this ship is 1/96 so it would be 168' long x 42' wide, and would draw 21' of water. The model is 27" long x 12" wide, and 25" high mid-ship. And has 5 different deck levels, plank-on-frame construction. Total work hours on the model, 1,175 hours, and about 10,000 pieces. About 61' of rigging.
    Thanks again,
    Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

I'd have to agree with Croppy Boy that is amazing workman ship, you must be very proud of them .I dont know if looking at these threads are good for my morale or not .Luckly I know my limetations as regards woodwork and I'm happy with that.But you guys please keep showing your work to us .Croppy has shown some beautiful stuff as well.I'm sure that others have posted their work as well ,maybe some one can tell me how to catch up on it .It certainly sets a high standerd that we can all aspire to but in my case never come near.But at this stage its nice to look at BEAUTY without been called bad names. If ther is another site showing members finished articles please let me know. All you fellows keep showing the work. boysie39

Ok, heres my claim to model ship making fame :D ...........

My 3+ year old Titanic that I never really got around to finishing unfortunately, its currently sitting in a cold (and at times damp) shed, which I discovered this evening when I took it down, that it isnt doing much good for it :eek:

Full views:
    104_4570.jpg

104_4569.jpg

Construction:
    104_4553.jpg
    Main hull constructed as above, 5 main pieces glued and clamped, smaller supports put in and then the shaping begins.

104_4558.jpg

Various decks constructed from 10mm mdf, the layout of the various deck, in this case A deck is routed out, leaving a 1mm overhang which acts as the floor for the deck above:
    104_4563.jpg

104_4565.jpg

104_4567.jpg

Various other views:
    104_4600.jpg

104_4592.jpg

104_4602.jpg

104_4604.jpg

104_4593.jpg

Lots done, LOTS more left to do, too much in fact. I was making that when I knew every window, doorway and ventilation shaft on the ship.........I forgot most in the time being :o. As you can see, some of the un supported decks have begun to sag, I still have to make window strips for them, and it has accumilated its fair share of dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

GOOD GOD, Den that stuff you've made is AMAZING. You must have an incredibly skilled touch and the patience of a saint. Just wondering, why is the underside of the hull of that ship in those pics above not 'planked'?

Croppyboy, you should keep going with that Titanic model - it looks like it has the potential to be a real beauty when finished. I'm curious how did you remember all the details of the ship, do you have plans or something?

• Advertisement

I've had a great interest in the Titanic since I was about 7 or 8 (long before the movie :D), that begun I guess when my mom bought me a Revell Titanic scale model kit in a special presentation box which also included Colonel Archibald Gracies book on the Titanic. From there on in I was hooked, so I just knew all the details from years of looking at pictures, plans, books, various movies etc etc. Of course I was using plans to make the model to get proportion, scale and layout correct, but it helps when you know the finer details. Sadly I neglected it for a few years and thus the most of it has slipped from my mind. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Don't worry, if you knew the details that well they'll all come flooding back when the interest rekindles. I always find that's the way anyway.

By coincidence two of my great uncles were ship builders on the Titanic. Then they both sailed across to Southampton on it to emigrate. But while in England they got separated - one stayed while the other went to New York on another ship. The brother that stayed knew that the other had been intending to go to America, I think, and for a time thought he'd been on the Titanic and must have drowned. Luckily it was another ship and in the end I think he came back to England or Ireland - though his children ended up in Australia so I'm not sure about the rest.

I've always wondered did he have doubts about the ship's seaworthiness - hence him taking a different ship across the Atlantic instead.:eek:

MT wrote:
    GOOD GOD, Den that stuff you've made is AMAZING. You must have an incredibly skilled touch and the patience of a saint. Just wondering, why is the underside of the hull of that ship in those pics above not 'planked'?

Croppyboy, you should keep going with that Titanic model - it looks like it has the potential to be a real beauty when finished. I'm curious how did you remember all the details of the ship, do you have plans or something?

Thanks for the compliments MT. The reason for leaving the planks off of the hull is to show the construction of the ship, some of the deck planks on deck are left off also, so you are able to see the deck beams. Most of the 16-17th century ship models were built like this to show the construction of the ship.
    Thanks again,
    Den

I've had a great interest in the Titanic since I was about 7 or 8 (long before the movie :D), that begun I guess when my mom bought me a Revell Titanic scale model kit in a special presentation box which also included Colonel Archibald Gracies book on the Titanic. From there on in I was hooked, so I just knew all the details from years of looking at pictures, plans, books, various movies etc etc. Of course I was using plans to make the model to get proportion, scale and layout correct, but it helps when you know the finer details. Sadly I neglected it for a few years and thus the most of it has slipped from my mind. :o

Looking good CROPPYBOY, cant wait to see the finished product.
    Den

Advertisement