Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Camera Shop

Options
  • 27-12-2006 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

A rant.

Ok, so in the past, I have gone into this shop, looking for possible purchases. I found the way they deal with you to be awfully belittling. Eg, I went in to price a lens, and was told it in a manner that obviously implied that I couldn't afford it. I was tempted to buy it to spite them, but as alot of ye will know they're overpriced so it wouldn't be worth it. I thought this might have been due to my age (I'm only 17), but I got chatting to my doctor a few weeks back and he experienced the exact same thing when he went in looking for a telescope. Oh, and they bluntly refused the word "prime" to describe a lens. "You mean fixed lens.", he said. "Yeah, well, same thing I think?" To which I simply received a shake of the head.

So I decided to stick to Fahyfoto for stuff I needed right now (they're awfully friendly in there), and online otherwise. Fair enough you say, why the hell are you posting a thread you say? Well, I'd like to hear what the rest of ye think about this shop, but I'm also posting to discuss my current conundrum.

I won a voucher to this shop in a photography competition to the value of €100. I thought I might be able to pick up the battery grip for the 350d for this + a few euro of my own, or failing that, a cheap flash. I don't know if I'd use the latter much, but it'd be fun for playing around with. So I go in and price these two, the cheapest flash she could sell me was 250 and the battery grip was 150, and I didn't have 50 to add on. So fair enough I thought, I'll go research and find something else to buy.

I settled on a filter system or similar to mess around with, and went in just before Christmas to see what they could do for me. After being stared at for a few minutes being told every suggestion I had that they didn't sell it. So I told him I had 100 euro to spend, I didn't need anything proper, just something to mess around with, I have a 350d with lenses to take 52mm or 58mm filters. He seemed happier with this, but after staring at the Canon section in the window for a few minutes said he could only find one thing, a 2x teleconverter. I was uninterested. So I asked if I could order in filters through them. He told me I could, but not til the new year and it'd take 3-4 months to get in. "Ordering from the north pole on a bear's back?" I thought. But gave up and left.

Now, I have 100 euro I need to spend in there, but they do not have anything to give me. I'm considering paying an extra 50 euro and getting the battery grip but the idea of giving them my own money makes me shiver. Have considered selling the voucher for 90 euro or something but my name is on the voucher so dunno if it'd work. I guess so.

So, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this thread is, ideas of what I could buy would be cool (or, obviously, if any of ye are planning on shopping here I'll give ye the voucher for less than it's worth), but primarily I just wanted to rant about this shop. Maybe it'll stop someone from buying from them after reading this. That would put a smile on my face :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Been in there a few times, have to say I get the same feeling, almost as if they try to discreetly imply through the power of eye movement that you don't belong in their store.

Always thought it was woefully priced in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Complete shower of *******, on my few trips their I have been given the same response about ordering time on stuff.

As for what to do with the voucher, a paper airplane come to mind. Good luck with tring to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

there is something else to be wary of ,buying goods at full retail price that had been returned or used already.
    This happens in a shop in dublin city centre and with goods that cost in the hundreds. Even with expensive prices and nice attitudes ,you can still be getting the short end of the stick.

Hahnel do a grip for the 350d that comes with a battery for about 100 quid. hahnel are made in ireland so the shop should be able to get one for you.
    EDIT : the only thing about the hahnel grip is ,I don't think it has a portrait controls on it.
    http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?action=productView&PID=25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just stick the 50 quid on and get the official battery grip...And never go back there again. There's a place like that in Waterford too..

Make sure it's the Canon battery grip your getting too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, get the Battery Grip and put a few Euros of your own with the Voucher. I've the Battery Grip for my 350d, and with 2 Batteries, I ran off a week of Photos in Paris with no recharging.

• Advertisement

I've charged my 5D batteries 3 times since I got it in November. I've shot well over a thousand photos since then.

Battery grips ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Terrible terrible shop, I was in the same position with a E100 voucher I won last xmas, I ended up buying a 2GB memory card (I paid a little extra on top) Ive bought UV filters and a blower in there but apart from that I only use the shop as shelter when it rains.

AC-FOTO is where its at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Get a grip, they're great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Aye went with a grip. Forked out 50 on top of the voucher and now I'm gonna have to buy an extra battery (just because), so this voucher has proved to be pricey! :)

Oh yes...forgot to mention that part :p

You don't have to get a Canon one though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Galway Camera Shop isnt the best in the planet but they have some stuff and being a member of the Galway Camera Club gives you discount there which always helps.

They are defo geared towards the casual photographer user and those wanting tobget pics printed etc. Their technical knowledge isnt the best either I remember when I asked for a filter for my lens and they said I didnt need it as I am shooting digitally!!

Inspires a great amount of confidence - NOOOTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, having visited B&H today I wish there was something like this back home (in Europe never mind Ireland) as they are just brilliant. Nothing was too much to ask and they were great with help and advice on a lot of things I was talking to them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I've found their prices to be astronomical for cameras comared to what I've found elsewhere. I've never dealt with them (as I've always found better value elsewhere) but I've heard from colleagues that they are extremely rude and unfriendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

God help you if you need to make a return or exchange. After my flashgun died, the only reason I had a satisfactory exchange was one of the staff is our next door neighbour in Galway, and a family friend for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Why not get a tripod or something (anything!) for the €100and be done with the place.
    In fairness much of what you say is true about the place, especially the ridiculous prices. Bit of a shame really as most people who are looking for a camera who aren't in the know will probably go there as Galway isn't really spoilt for choice when it comes to camera shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

I haven't been too impressed with the service in the Galway Camera shop either. I bought a Sigma 10-20mm lens there a while back (it was the same price there as online) and decided to get a UV filter for it. They didn't have one in stock (it's 77mm) but said they would order it for me, and took my mobile number so that they could call me when it arrived. I called in 3 times over the next couple of months, but it was always the same message - 'it's still on order'. Needless to say, I never got a call telling me to come in and collect it.

After my 3rd visit, I did what I should have done in the first place - ordered it online and got it in a week.

I've found Barker's in Cork and Bermingham's in Dublin very good for service - particularly if you need someone to explain how the gadget works [as a man, I'm genetically unable to read the user manual:D]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fer_

I've found their prices extremely high.

Have you though about buying on-line? There are really nice shops out there, and we can take advantage of the current euro-dollar ratio and save a lot of money.

My favourite shop: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fer_ wrote: »
    I've found their prices extremely high.

Have you though about buying on-line? There are really nice shops out there, and we can take advantage of the current euro-dollar ratio and save a lot of money.

My favourite shop: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Holy necro batman ! I'd accuse this of being some corporate schill if I thought bh photo video was actually capable of it (which I don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

No idea about the shop but someone local should sent them a link to this thread. !!!

Truly...

This thread and the people who post here on boards (for the most, I trust their opinions or at least respect them) ... this thread would put me off using the above mentioned shop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fer_

Holy necro batman ! I'd accuse this of being some corporate schill if I thought bh photo video was actually capable of it (which I don't).

I'm not allowed to post links here? If so, sorry about that, I didn't know it :confused:.

I don't work for that shop, I just tried to help people and give some useful information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Wow, I never knew that there was such a hatred for that shop. I think they'll always ave the advantage over any camera shop that tries to rival them in Galway because of their location (probably the best location for a shop in Galway)

I think what they need is some hard competition. Do you think there'd be enough market for a rival shop, what with everyone buying online these days?

• Advertisement

Galway camera are geared towards joe public and will always be.

They arent too interested in the serious users as they know we can get gear cheaper & quicker elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I wonder if people realise this thread is nearly 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

And nothings changed...:)

Was in a few times this year, never bought anything never will, prices are high and i didnt like the guys attitude...

Got the feeling he felt I was wasting his time... wouldnt mind it was early morning and the place was dead

kensutz wrote: »

Yeah the reason it was dug up was because it was linked from the Galway city forum where someone was asking about this shop.

kensutz wrote: »

Yes some of us did and the mind set in the shop still hasnt changed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Are there other camera shops in Galway that anyone would recommend?

Cole wrote: »
    Are there other camera shops in Galway that anyone would recommend?

Personally I don't have a problem with the GCS besides the prices.

I've had a glance into Fahy Foto and it doesn't look like anything special. That being said, their customer service could be superb.

I think the internet is your friend if you're living in Galway and want to get something camera related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Weidii wrote: »
    I think the internet is your friend if you're living in Galway and want to get something camera related.

In fairness, I think the internet is friend if you live ANYWHERE* and you want to get anything camera related.

*Other than right beside BH photo video, but I've seen people who live in new york complaining about having to pay sales tax etc etc so I'm guessing you can't make -anyone- happy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

Upon receiving my 70-200L, walked in and asked them to price one.
    €2500. I burst out laughing and walked out - the old gent had obviously implied that it was beyond my grasp.
    I refuse flat out to deal with him, plus I knew his daughter in school...let's say the attitude runs in the family.
    There's a young, curly haired chap in there called Liam, who is very friendly and approachable.

That said, I deal exclusively with FahyFoto. You think the GCS would let me dangle off a tripod before paying for it?! Reasonable too : Slik Pro Able 300DX - €95!

The staff in Fahyfoto are beyond helpful and even though some things mighn't be immediately available, they'll root it out somehow!

L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Great post OP.

Advertisement