Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got Mind Trap for xmas and thought I'd Share!

Options
  • 26-12-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

I will update with answers as people get them. Clues will be given if extreme diffuculty is found.

1. Art Conn had only $2 but he needed $3 for his cab fare home. Undaunted, he went to a shop and pawned his $2 for $1.50. Art then bumped into Duncan Drivel and told him that he would sell him his £2 pawn ticket for $1.50. Duncan agreed. Since Art started out with $2, and he ended up with $3, who is out the extra dollar and why?
    Answer: [Not yet found]

2. The 22nd and 24th presidents of the United States had the same mother and the father, but were not brothers. How is this possible? Explain.
    Answer: They were the same man. Grover Cleveland (1837-1908) served two terms as president of the United States, but the terms were not consecutive. He was president from 1885 to 1889 and 1893 to 1897.

3. Charles Pompuss was standing at the bar in the 'Soul-Ace Hotel', rolling some dice in his hand. Hardy Pyle spotted Charles with the dice and strolled over looking for a possible wager. Charles said to Hardy, "I'll bet you $100 that if you take the regular die and tell me just the top number, I can correctly guess the bottom number ten times out of ten." Would this be a good bet for Hardy to take and why?

4. Charles Pompuss was racing around in his new sports car when he noticed that his throat was patched. He came to a screeching halt in front of the 'Soul-Ace Hotel' and the nine police cars which had been chasing him, slammed into the back of his car and each other's. How many bumpers will have been hit, explain.

5. Since a person uses about the same amount of energy walking for ten kilometres as running for ten kilometres, would a person use more energy for running ten minutes, walking for ten minutes or is the same amount of energy spent? Why?
    Answer: [Not found yet]

Good luck and have fun trying to figure them out and I will only be replying if your answer is right or if I think a clue is needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

2. The 22nd and 24th presidents of the United States had the same mother and the father, but were not brothers. How is this possible?
    Answer: It was the same president (Cleveland).

ED: Updated/elaborated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Can you elaborate?
    (You are right btw Im just looking for the full answer :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Deaddude wrote:
    3. Charles Pompuss was standing at the bar in the 'Soul-Ace Hotel', rolling some dice in his hand. Hardy Pyle spotted Charles with the dice and strolled over looking for a possible wager. Charles said to Hardy, "I'll bet you $100 that if you take the regular die and tell me just the top number, I can correctly guess the bottom number ten times out of ten." Would this be a good bet for Hardy to take and why?

No.
    The opposite faces of a die always add to 7, so it's not a good bet. Given the top number x, you can always tell that the bottom number is (7-x)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Deaddude wrote:
    5. Since a person uses about the same amount of energy walking for ten kilometres as running for ten kilometres, would a person use more energy for running ten minutes, walking for ten minutes or is the same amount of energy spent? Why?
    More energy used running for ten minutes. The assumption is that energy used depends only on distance covered. If I can walk (say) 1 km in ten minutes, but I can run 2 km in the same time, then I will have used twice the energy running because I have covered twice the distance in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Deaddude wrote:
    More energy is used running for 10 minutes since Work Done=Force * distance and a much greater distance is travelled when the person runs

/edit: Damn, Pines beat me to it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Deaddude wrote:
    1. Art Conn had only $2 but he needed $3 for his cab fare home. Undaunted, he went to a shop and pawned his $2 for $1.50. Art then bumped into Duncan Drivel and told him that he would sell him his £2 pawn ticket for $1.50. Duncan agreed. Since Art started out with $2, and he ended up with $3, who is out the extra dollar and why?
    DUncan Drivel is out the money as he would have to pay the pawn shop owner $1.50 to claim the $2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Ok, i'll have a go at these :) I'm presuming they're not silly trick questions, at least if they are they caught me out lol.

1. Duncan is out the extra dollar because when he goes to redeem the pawn ticket he will have to pay another $1.50 to get the $2, thus paying $3 for $2

2. Same guy.

3. No because there is no need to guess the bottom number. If u know the top number, you automatically know the bottom number.

4. 18 bumpers in total, 1 on Charles' car, two on each of the police cars except the last one, on which only one. 1 +(2x8) + 1 = 18

5. More energy is used in running for 10 mins because you cover a greater distance.

Edit: - obviously spent to long typing this - and sorry, i don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

4. Charles Pompuss was racing around in his new sports car when he noticed that his throat was patched.
    What does this mean? Is it meant to say "parched"? :eek:
    4. Charles Pompuss was racing around in his new sports car when he noticed that his throat was patched. He came to a screeching halt in front of the 'Soul-Ace Hotel' and the nine police cars which had been chasing him, slammed into the back of his car and each other's. How many bumpers will have been hit, explain.
    18. Ten cars. Nine gaps. Two bumpers per gap. 9x2=18. Charles' front bumper and the read police car's rear bumper are unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Deaddude wrote:
    I will update with answers as people get them. Clues will be given if extreme diffuculty is found.

Yes its a good bet because
    IIRC the die is made so that the opposite ends always add up to seven.
    E.G 6 and 1 are at opp. ends as are 3,4 and 5,2.

Am I correct?

• Advertisement
Advertisement