Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter flying lessons

Options
  • 24-12-2006 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Helicopter flying lessons - anyone have a link to a reliable Irish company who provide this?

I'm really just looking for the introductory flight ... not even sure if it's possible to control it yourself on your first go like in a plane?

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I'm nearly sure they do this out at Baldonnell, they definietely do planes and I think helicopters. I get lessons in Birr, which although a trek and there arent helicopters, is a much better airfield (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

See below for a list of threads related to helicopter lessons (they are old but you should get some information from them), someone gave me these links that I put into the Gifts forum.

TopGifts
    Swiftair

1, 2, 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

InFront wrote:
    I'm nearly sure they do this out at Baldonnell, they definietely do planes and I think helicopters.

Don't do either at Baldonnel but both are done at Weston, just north of the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I got a helicopter lesson for Christmas last year from Weston in Leixlip.

Nearly killed myself and the pilot ("Here - you take over for a while"), but it was an incredible experience.

Here's the link.

Edit: updated the link

Don't do either at Baldonnel but both are done at Weston, just north of the military.

sorry yeah thats the one - the civil aviation place as opposed to the military one of course:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Perhaps I'm blind ... can anyone else see if http://www.nfc.ie/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=26 cost of 95EUR applies to 30min helicopter flight too?

You're right, it doesn't say anything in particular about helicopter charges, but I'm sure it's the same, why would they differ? Perhaps phone them in the next few days and find out

Too late! Argh .. had planned to give as Xmas present (the flying lessons) but picked up over the last 2 or 3 days that helicopter might be the experience that he's looking for.

I guess I can always offer to change it if he wants helicopters instead, doubt they'd be open tonight or tomorrow.

Don't worry, I dont think anyone with has ever been disappointed with a gift of free flying lessons. It may well be impossible...

The thing is, I think he may have had some about 5 or 6 years ago.. same sort of thing - introductory flight.

I'm just concerned that it may be repetitive or something? I know personally I'd be thrilled to do it a second time, anyone have any views?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Former student of NFC here. Couple of things, the intro flight is a load of cack! 30 mins in Cessna 150 2 seater bucket of ****! Plus you are competing with all the students already flying with the school. Expect to get your intro flight some around feb/march depending on weather as well!

Heli flights are a LOT more expensive. I think an hour is around the €300 mark

@Preset No.3
    You seem very negative ... can you gimme some more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not all intro lessons are 30 mins..

I've done some flying with Flight Wise in Weston and there's no rushed 30 mins intro flights although they don't do choppers.

A lesson for 95 quid seems like a wrong piece of info too.. try 190+ for just a plane.

I took the 95EUR for 30 mins direct off their website. My mate said he did one last year for 80EUR, so it would seem reasonably accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'm really just looking for the introductory flight ... not even sure if it's possible to control it yourself on your first go like in a plane?

I did an introductry lesson with Eircopters out of Weston, they seemed fairly good, depends on what the instuctors like as to how much control he gives you. I can't remember the name of the instructor I flew with, you could ask Tom Dunne if he can remember the name of his instructor and if he would recommend him/her.

You won't be able to control the choppper completly by yourself the first few times, it takes about 10 hours flying to master the straight and level flying part(unlike planes chopppers aren't designed to fly:)). The instructor will probably give you different controls at different times and then he might get you to use them all at once, with him providing a lot of assistance, you should be able to get a good feel for it though.

Go for the 30 mins lesson aswell it takes a heck of a lot of concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭MarkN

ciaranfo wrote:
    I took the 95EUR for 30 mins direct off their website. My mate said he did one last year for 80EUR, so it would seem reasonably accurate.

I wasn't really aiming anything at you specifically, just the impression given in the thread was that all was available was a 30 min intro fllight for a lot more than the figures quoted at the start of the thread and it was useless.

And my post was saying not everywhere is like that...

Like everything, you get what you pay for and for 80 quid I've no doubt you'd be taken up, let gaze out the window and brought back down very quickly.

Sorry mate, I do appreciate any thoughts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

MarkN wrote:
    I
    Like everything, you get what you pay for and for 80 quid I've no doubt you'd be taken up, let gaze out the window and brought back down very quickly.
    i'm the mate that got one for €80 :) it was about half an hour. i flew it for about 5-10 minutes and then he did a few loops. well not quite but he was at a 270 degree angle. he wouldn't let me do it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Try www.flyinginireland.com for a host of links to aviation groups/airfields/flying schools in Ireland.
    FYI Baldonnel ( EIME ) is home to the Irish Air Corps and if you want to get to fly there then a cadetship in the Military is for you, and then you can go fly Military Aircraft.

Advertisement