Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could have chosen an identity...

Options
  • 24-12-2006 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Just an idle thought...

If you could reinvent yourself, or somehow "choose" your identity before birth, a different name, different nationality, a new family perhaps, or a new gender (!), even a new era... would you do it? And if so, what would you choose? And do you think that you would be happier? I was think about this today and my mind sort of ran away with itself.

I'd choose to be called King Scorpian after the ancient Egyptian pharoe (though i wouldnt exactly wish to be him per se) and to have formulated something terribly important and practical to mathematics or engineering, such as the Pythagorean theorom, and to have experienced the French Revolution. I would also have liked to have had pretty feet and nicer ears. I would keep my own genetics religion and family background, but Bertrand Russell would probably have to be a distant cousin. Personality wise I would be the same, if not a little bit more patient.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Good choice on Egyptian.

I'd want to be a modern day Egyptian monkey wrangler called Asan Omari...

Oh and I'd have an eye patch... excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Um... Noone who experienced the French revolution had a good time, really...
    Rich people had their heads removed.
    Poor people were still poor, abeit slightly happier becuase they had removed some gimps heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Probably someone who knew Jesus. Just to see what the real truth was. That or ancient Greece.

In a modern era, I'd come back as a woman. Probably a lesbian.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Um... Noone who experienced the French revolution had a good time, really...

I know, but wouldnt it be something cool to tell the grandchildren. Plus I'd take photos and sell them to The Sun
    "Teen Queen in Revolution Shockah"
    "Queens just wanna have fun"
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd be a footballer named Matt Le Tissier, overweight and lazy but still the greatest player to have ever played the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

InFront wrote:
    Just an idle thought...

If you could reinvent yourself, or somehow "choose" your identity before birth, a different name, different nationality, a new family perhaps, or a new gender (!), even a new era... would you do it? And if so, what would you choose? And do you think that you would be happier? I was think about this today and my mind sort of ran away with itself.

I'd choose to be called King Scorpian after the ancient Egyptian pharoe (though i wouldnt exactly wish to be him per se) and to have formulated something terribly important and practical to mathematics or engineering, such as the Pythagorean theorom, and to have experienced the French Revolution. I would also have liked to have had pretty feet and nicer ears. I would keep my own genetics religion and family background, but Bertrand Russell would probably have to be a distant cousin. Personality wise I would be the same, if not a little bit more patient.

The student that came up with the Pythagorean theorem was killed by Phytagorus (SP?). So yeah.. good luck with that.

I'd be a rich person from the 1830s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would be a lad called link and i would love to live in medievil times........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think I'd be Ben Affleck. I'd be rich and cool and bringing joy to hundreds of people around the world with my movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Amen to that!

I would like to have been in a flying column in the early 20s. I could run around our beautiful countryside brandishing a large shotgun and wearing a tweed trenchcoat with an old mans hat.
    I was born in the wrong decade i tell you.
    Life used to be so easy..... now we have L'oreal exfoliation cream for men.

T.Sc.

There's no reason why you can't still do that ... I mean look at Padraig Nally

or was that in bad taste...

I think I'd love to be born in the 50's.. but only the one that is depicted in Happy Days. I think I'd like to be the Fonz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I'd be Gwen Steffani. Yup! Belly, talent, money. Why not? She's got it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

I'd be the guy in the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

As far into the future as I can get. That way I'll have the longest, easiest and best possible life, unless the future is a barren nuclear-war-torn apocalyptic rock. In that case I'd still go into the future, just to when life was still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'd be James Bond, travel, sex, skiing, absolutely no morals, could kill anybody I fancied and laugh it off with a snappy one liner. Ah Bliss.

Otherwise I dunno, somebody rich and handsome in any era or place really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Lust4Life wrote:

Meh, she doesn't have much of an arsh, too stick figure-y for moi loiken.

I'd be Barry Scott, [STRIKE]hated[/STRIKE] loved by millions or the guy from the old Milk Tray ads where he leaves the photo with the box of chocys before dashing off somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've always liked the name Max Power.

Que Simpsons reference..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Count Pierre Bezúkhov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

MC Miker G
    the G is for Genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 flanger20002003

Think I would have liked to grow up in Dickensian era London, with money of course, not one of those shady Artful Dodger type characters. Also, I'd be slightly less skinny and maybe a piano genius of some description :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I'd be Vaughn from Alias.
    For many reasons, least of which would be Sydney Bristow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by Ruu
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lust4Life

Meh, she doesn't have much of an arsh, too stick figure-y for moi loiken.

Well, I don't have much of one either.
    But there's a whole lot of talent packed into that tiny frame of hers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

A fly on the wall at the scene where they found Kurt Cobain just to see if it was a suicide,dont like Nirvana that much but his death is surrounded by conspiracies, they say the suicide note was not his handwriting...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

I'd still be me, but only I'd have invested in Microsoft early on and made bazillions and I would not have sold some of the property that I did about six years ago...oh, and I'd be informing my family about health issues that would be popping up now. But if I had to go back in history? I'd probably be an Etruscan chick. I think they rocked. (But I'd also take a life time supply of things like antibitotics, sunblock and toothbrushes and paste with me, not to mention Advil.)
    Or a rich Victorian era woman, with the same modern conveniences brought along. Jesus, I think the clothes and jewelry women wore back them were sexy as sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd have to say, I'd either like to come back as a woman, or someone famous that the girls go crazy for like Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp. I suppose if I was to be a woman, it could also be someone famous, like Drew Barrymore.

I think it would be interesting to see what it's like to be a chick though, but I'm sure I'd make an absolutely horrible woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I would keep my name- Elizabeth and I would be the daughter of a rich businessman (possibly factory owner) In late-Victorian London. Oh what a time I would have! Gallavanting around town with eager young suiters, all the time under the watchful eye of my dissapproving father who would be hell bent and having me marry one of his many wealthy business associates.

Advertisement