Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque - Would you chance it?

Options
  • 23-12-2006 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Lets say (hypothetically speaking of course) a cheque was issued in your name for a months work. However, you said that you never got the cheque and so a funds transfer was arranged. However, the cheque eventually arrived. Would you try and lodge the cheque and see if you got away with it? Lets say (again hypothetically speaking) this person worked for a bank? Would you chance it then?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

stepbar wrote:
    Lets say (hypothetically speaking of course) a cheque was issued in your name for a months work. However, you said that you never got the cheque and so a funds transfer was arranged. However, the cheque eventually arrived. Would you try and lodge the cheque and see if you got away with it? Lets say (again hypothetically speaking) this person worked for a bank? Would you chance it then?
    Yo're mad.
    Its christmas ya grinch.
    Send them back that cheque for feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A "friend" of yours no doubt? :) I would be honest and not deposit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

the cheque would have been cancelled! You could lodge, it would not go through and then you would "hypothetically" have questions to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It depends, how good a liar is one (hypothetically) ?

Look, don't do it. Unless you're on some sort of phenomenal wage, it isn't worth the (considerable) risk. Not to mention the moral side of the argument *ducks head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Seriously its not me. My best friend got the cheque in the post yesterday, he rang me to ask what he should do with it.... and TBH I wasnt sure (this guy would have no prob ripping off the crowd he works for)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Then he will get found out!! And he will have to either pay it back if they believe he did not realise... OR Be fired and possibly charged for fraud.

A girl in work in Gateway years ago was doing German tech support, as was the policy she got an extra 1000 a year on her wages. Anyway someone messed up and was giving her 1000 a month extra!! This went on for about a year until someone noticed. She ended up having to pay it all back :D She almost lost her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Careful with your answers fellas; I notice at time of posting he has exactly 666 posts. Coincidence? I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Tell your friend to send back the cheque, or get him to dispose of it and tell the work that it came but it's gone now. It'll earn him brownie points for his boss.

can i reiterate that this guy would have no prob ripping off the crowd he works for........ bank and all that....

Crucifix wrote:
    Careful with your answers fellas; I notice at time of posting he has exactly 666 posts. Coincidence? I think not!

smart smart ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

And if he cashes the cheque, he will have to return the money. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh he may have no problem in doing it, but tbh if he's caught he'll be joining the dole.

fair enough I think the consensus is that he should not cash it so for all the people who replied have happy christmas and a prosperous new year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If he cashes it - he'll most likely be caught out as it is a bank... home of the beancounter. At which point, he'll win either a place in the dole Q, or (If he's paid well enough and the bank decides to take their usual zero-tolerance stance) a comfy little seat in court.

stepbar wrote:
    fair enough I think the consensus is that he should not cash it so for all the people who replied have happy christmas and a prosperous new year ;)
    I take that to mean "We're done here."
    Thread closed. PM me if you want.

Many returns.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

stepbar wrote:
    Would you try and lodge the cheque and see if you got away with it?

It is standard proceedure to cancel a cheque which has gone missing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement