Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Dublin Bus Ticket Inspectors Exist?

Options
  • 23-12-2006 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Haven't seen on in 8 years. What has happened to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Ah Haytch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah, got checked once (in my entire life) last year on the 46A in Donnybrook. Had no ticket (threw it in the waste thing) so the inspector made a bit of a fuss then moved on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never even heard of them. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

well never once got checked on the limerick city and cork city bus eireann buses
    or any of the county ones
    only ever on the trains...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

They do indeed exist. My boyf just got fined 30e for having a student bus ticket and no student travel card. ha ha! scabby git... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

do they tend to target certain bus routes I wonder? Like the Luas, which from what I've heard about the Tallaght line, seems to be checked by the inspectors a lot less often than the Dundrum line, the meanies.

I imagine Dublin Bus loses out a lot of money by a) the 95-centers (people who ask for a 95c ticket no matter where they are going!) and b) those who shiftily only contribute circa 60c in loose change for a 1.35 ticket etc!
    I imagine that, but I tend not to feel sorry for them. As I despise Dublin bus more than anything else in this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I heard of someone who got fined, but that was 3 years ago.

How does it work anyway? You give them a false name (Stephen Greene), get a fine and you both go on your merry way? Or push past and press the emergency door open button? Hmm
    InFront wrote:
    As I despise Dublin bus more than anything else in this city.
    Haha me too, PM me if you have any ideas on how to screw this particular organisation for all the pain they've caused Dubliners over the years.

I was rarely asked for a bus ticket until I took the 66/A/67/A/any bus that goes by the Phoenix Park. Think I saw 3 on three seperate bus journeys.

(I'm not usually out that direction, just from time to time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Must be to do with routes! I get checked at least once a month!!!!!!
    (Santry)

It would be interesting for you all to reveal what routes you take because I firmly believe that Dublin Bus treats some customers far better than others! All the brand new good buses go on the 'better' routes while supposed 'rougher' areas get stuck with kippy buses that are plainly not road worthy. I nearly broke my back on the 13 the other day because the suspension was gone, I was sitting down the back and was getting thrown all over the place - I also had to negotiate the hole in the floor as I made my way to a sturdy pole to hold on to. Said it to the driver and he told me his supervisor is well aware of it but no sign of anything being changed. He was as disgusted as I was.

I think it's terrible that they treat some customers better than others depending on where they're from - consistent presence of inspectors on some routes rather than others is evidence of a suspicion amongst them that people from some places are dishonest and will chance their arm where people from elsewhere wont. In the 100s of times I've been checked, NOBODY that I've seen on my route has had an underpaid or incorrect ticket!!!!!

Actually, half the time my ticket is wrong by a few stops, really annoys me because if I was fined I'd feel obliged to make a big scene about how Dublin Bus need to get their act together.

EDIT: Use 15s/ 16s - havent been asked in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I've been getting the 46A route for a few years now and I have seen only one, some chump hadn't paid the proper fair but all the inspector asked him to do was go downstairs and buy a new ticket.

So yes they exist but most of us probably have a snowballs chance in hell of running into them even once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I sometimes take Dublin Bus to and from work (50, 65B or 69) for about 3 years now... I've been checked about 10 times over that period... It seems that they are on routes that are more likely to get fair jumpers :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I sometimes take Dublin Bus to and from work (50, 65B or 69) for about 3 years now... I've been checked about 10 times over that period... It seems that they are on routes that are more likely to get fair jumpers :-)

Routes more likely to get fair jumpers? What routes are they?

People will chance their arm whether they've a silver spoon in their mouth or not!

I guess I just don't think it's fair for people (or Dublin Bus!) to presume that, in your case, Tallaght/Clondalkin buses are more likely to get people trying to con the driver than other more 'privileged routes' -

N.B: I'm not a southsider defending my part of town!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Is a fair jumper ...
    a) a jumper one would buy on a fair day, or at a fair, or for use at a fair.
    b) a nice, plain, but robust jumper.
    c) a light-coloured jumper.

I take the 66/67/67a/x/n a fair bit, and I've never seen an inspector.
    I always save 2 yoyos on the nightlink and the regular bus by throwing them some coppers, or just saying 95 cents, or else lying and saying im going to Lucan. :)

End result is that I can afford tesco value noodles (17c) instead of sh|tty aldi noodles (14c)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've never seen an inspector on the 44 in over a year of getting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think Ive been checked once.
    Much frantic scrummaging for crumpled up piece of paper confirming Id paid my 80c.
    But there really isnt that much need for them (not as much as DART). Tis easy to get on a DART for free (try the Tara Street to Bray trip - easily done without passing a single check. Not that I do mind) so more conductors. Buses it is a little bit more difficult. You do have to pass the driver. Although if you wanted to - Ive flicked my ticket at a bus driver many times and he's just nodded without even looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Its all academic really.
    DB themselves appear to believe their own figures which purport to show a very low Fare Evasion rate (Inc incorrect fares) of c.2.8%.

One of the problems is the sanctions which the courts are prepared to impose on those who are brought before them.
    In the best liberal traditions of Adrian Hardiman SC very few of those charged with fare Evasion or other breaches of the DB by-laws are ever treated to the full rigours.

DB on the other hand must field a full team for any court appearance which may include a briefing solicitor (usually company employed) a junior,or on rarer occasions,senior counsel plus any Inspector or other company official involved.
    However even after this considerable outlay it is rare indeed for any Judge to impose a sentence which even approaches a deterent.

So the entire business of Revenue Protection begins to assume a Revenue LOSS situation just to make a point.

It`s worth noting that of the Fare Evasion figure some 70% is attributed to misuse of Student Prepaid tickets.

Its not in our cultural make up to be seen to impose punishment...that`s only for colonial oppressors and imperialists and the occasional repressive regieme.
    We pride ourselves on being a tolerant,liberal people etc etc with no requirement on any of us to observe any law,rule or stricture which we dont like. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A German girl I used to know came to me one day and declaring she'd been inspected that morning. I was shocked she was so open about gynaecology exams. :D

I used a wide range of buses from time to time and have been checked occassionally. I've the nasty habit of putting the ticket in a random pocket and taking an age to find it. The inspectors have always been understanding. I don't think I've seen a check in about a year.

However I do know there was a memo sent to staff to ensure all passengers are at least counted (passes and defective tockets / ticket machines being a problem) as part of the service agreement with the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Routes more likely to get fair jumpers? What routes are they?

People will chance their arm whether they've a silver spoon in their mouth or not!

I guess I just don't think it's fair for people (or Dublin Bus!) to presume that, in your case, Tallaght/Clondalkin buses are more likely to get people trying to con the driver than other more 'privileged routes' -

N.B: I'm not a southsider defending my part of town!:)

I'll put it this way... I'm sure the junkies down the back of the 50 smoking dope and god knows what else at 8am didn't pay what they should have... The 50 is the bus that i've been asked for a ticket mostly on....

I've seen quite a few times that people were either given tickets or given a fine. I've never seen this on 46A, 7, 10 etc.

Hey... It's just one of those things. Not something that really concerns me. I pay my full fair all the time. If people want to pay less, they run the risk of getting caught and fined etc... Personal choice I guess...

Fair Play to 3rd echelon (!!) BUT those regulars on the 50 need to have it inserted very firmly into whatever passes for their grey matter that (1) They WILL be checked on at least 50% of their journeys. and (2) They WILL be relieved of at least €30 for any journey for which they do not have a valid ticket. NO If`s,But`s or Maybe`s about it.
    ( Incidentally an integral part of the issue of a Standard Fare should be the taking of a Digital Portrait of the recipient in order to build up a database of such types.) :cool:

Presently these fellows and their fellow dodgers are fully expectant that they can intimidate any Official or Garda that attempts to impose any sanction on them.

They tend to worry far less about Court appearances as these can usually be dealt with fairly easily and without any Financial penalty being imposed.

The continental and Eastern European Ticket Checking model of multiple checkers,inc Plain Clothes and a vehicle lock-down while the check is in progress is the way to go.

However the present judicial arrangements have made CIE very wary of anything which resembles confrontation and this lack of committment is sadly beginning to once again see the anti-social types flex their muscles !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote:

The continental and Eastern European Ticket Checking model of multiple checkers,inc Plain Clothes and a vehicle lock-down while the check is in progress is the way to go.
    Its a bus. Not a prison camp. Think the power is going to your head there AlekSmart.

As if people don't have places to go to or time to keep, we'd have to sit there while the power trippers massage their egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

AlekSmart wrote:
    Fair Play to 3rd echelon (!!) BUT those regulars on the 50 need to have it inserted very firmly into whatever passes for their grey matter that (1) They WILL be checked on at least 50% of their journeys. and (2) They WILL be relieved of at least €30 for any journey for which they do not have a valid ticket. NO If`s,But`s or Maybe`s about it.
    ( Incidentally an integral part of the issue of a Standard Fare should be the taking of a Digital Portrait of the recipient in order to build up a database of such types.) :cool:

Presently these fellows and their fellow dodgers are fully expectant that they can intimidate any Official or Garda that attempts to impose any sanction on them.

They tend to worry far less about Court appearances as these can usually be dealt with fairly easily and without any Financial penalty being imposed.

However the present judicial arrangements have made CIE very wary of anything which resembles confrontation and this lack of committment is sadly beginning to once again see the anti-social types flex their muscles !!
    Oh grow up ffs!
    If an inspector did come on the bus, and the three or four gentlemen of questionable intent did not have tickets, what would happen?
    Nothing, at very most they would get thrown off the bus.
    They most likely dont have 30 euro between them, if they have to go to an early morning bus to smoke dope. In fact, they are probably homeless.
    You can't be arrested for fare dodging, just have your name taken, and you have to pay a fine before a certain date. If you don't do this, you get a summons.
    Most of the time, people will give their real name and a fake address to the inspector. Then get kicked off and sent on their merry way.

Lockdown?
    Plainclothes Inspectors?
    Eastern European model?
    LOFFLES!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have been checked quite a few times on various routes but mainly on a Sunday.

Are the chaps with the peaked caps and two way radios, Inspectors or Controllers? If they are inspectors, then there are always a few hanging around the DB stops in Dublin Airport.

I don't know about nowadays but DB use to utilise plain clothes (undercover) inspectors but they were used to check that the driver/conductor issued the correct ticket. (A friend of my wife used to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I can't believe so many people have encountared ticket inspectors :eek: I thought they were a myth made up by Dublin Bus to scare ye!

Seriously though, I've been getting a wide range of bus' for the past 3 years in and out of town, and I've never seen one!

Hell, a lot of the time I don't even see em on the train!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have been checked a good few times, usually 2 or 3 them jump on the one bus.

It`s probably a Student phase thing,this soft-focused "understanding" of the rights and underlying reasons behind the fare dodgers fandango.

Aphex is concerned as he/she "has somewhere to go" as if the "Bud`s" didnt have somewhere to go also.
    Its always open to Aphex ,if his journey looked like being delayed by "PowerTrippers",to actually step-in and pay the fare or indeed the Standard Fare for the Miscreants.
    This would be a whole-heartedly public spirited action and one for which I`m sure AphexTM would be warmly embraced by those concerned.

The "Junkies" (If that what they be) on the 0800 50 are most likely on their way to work in An Lar or to visit one or more sections of the Dept of Social and Community Affairs who look after their interests.

Personally the status of ANY Passenger does not cause me any bother at all once they pay their fare,sit down and keep their business to themselves whilst on the same bus as me.

Last week I witnessed a Busdriver eject a trio of swarthy Gypsy looking types after one of their number began interfering with himself.

The trio did not go softly into the night and were prepared to make a spirited resistance until they became aware of a Garda presence nearby.
    Even then they made their displeasure apparent by throwing small coins and gobbing spiritedly at the driver.

Its all great fun and games until this poor,put upon,possibly even homeless lad sits down beside yer own Mother,Sister,Granny or possibly all three and starts to beat his meat for their delectation and enjoyment.

Its kind of all becoming clearer as time marches on that in this Republic we actually DO get the type of society we crave.
    There`s little point in some `po folks repeatedly bemoaning this State of Denmark and it`s ramshackle Public Transport when we resolutely stand with Admiral Nelson and his blind eye as the savvidges tear it asunder.

I wonder did Donough O Malley ever realize the great vista he was opening when he launched forth with "Free Education" all those decades ago...... :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've been inspected but only years ago. My gran would talk about inspectors a lot, and occasionally will ask if I've ever seen one.

Both my then g/f and another guy I know got fined on the bus to coolock one day, for having incorrect passes and/or no valid ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Lockdown?
    Plainclothes Inspectors?
    Eastern European model?
    LOFFLES!

What's so funny about this? Get a train in Germany sometime and see what happens in the real world.

I was in Dusseldorf for 4 days this year, made 6 train/tram journeys and was inspected twice during that time. In both cases, the doors closed and two plain clothed ticket inspectors annouced their presence and checked everyone's ticket in the carriage before the doors opened at the next stop. Anyone without a ticket was asked to pay the 40 euro fine or be held at the station until the police arrived.

There was a thread about this over on P11 last year and someone mentioned a book that the inspectors can carry to check people's names and addresses, no idea if its just a glorified phone book though.

Edit: Just to keep it on topic, I lived for 3 years on Santry/Finglas routes and saw about 3 checks, 2 years in Ballsbridge saw no checks though almost all my travelling was at rush hours and just over 1 year on Coolock routes has seen no checks so far. In comparison, for two years I was ticket checked on Bus Eireann every single week. I travel less now but I've been inspected occasioanlly since then.

• Advertisement

It`s always instructive to listen to the clamour for better public transport and of course more accountability for it`s staff etc etc.
    However this hubub usually dies down pdq as soon as the PT entity begins to look about for accountability in relation to its customers paying the correct fare.

I note the Honourable Members comments on several posts on the fiscal benefits of using Child or Student 2 Easy tickets in preference to paying the Correct fare.

As a society we have been nurtured as having a great many entitlements to "Free Stuff" so its not an Internet led phenomonon.
    Neither is it one peculiar to Public Transport as the Medical Profession and indeeed the Private Rented Accomodation sector is now largely driven by the requirement of a great proportion of it`s customers to reap it`s benefits for "Free".

Of course,as any economist will attest to,free lunches only exist on the diner`s fork and somebody somewhere will be paying Full Whack for the meat an 2 veg.

Lets just all agree to differ on how we should render unto Caesar what is rightfully Caesar`s but if we not agreeable to render him anything then also agree to keep schtum about the lack of service he provides.... :)

Advertisement