Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver Jews

Options
  • 22-12-2006 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Only a few months after I realise that Pavement are in fact as good as everyone says they are, and I've already discovered that Silver Jews are similarly fantastic. Can Stephen Malkmus do anything wrong?

How does American Water stand up to Slanted and Enchanted or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain? I'm really impressed by this album. Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I got 'Tanglewood Numbers' based on the rave reviews it had been getting.

Disappointing I thought. Nothing special about them imo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Silver Jews really isn't a Malkmus/Pavement thing. It's Dave Berman's band. It's so un-Pavement (despite the first few albums and Malkmus' amazing guitar playing on American Water), that Berman asked that Malkmus have hardly anything to do with Tanglewood Numbers.

I love Pavement, but Silver Jews is one of my all time favourite bands ever. American Water is fantastic, as is The Natural Bridge and Starlite Walker. All sound very different, and I've been shot down when I've said that Tanglewood Numbers is one of his best albums ever. Although Berman hasn't put out a bad one.

Incidentally, he/Silver Jews never tours (Bob Nastanovic was notoriously dropped from the European tour). That's why I went on a pilgramage to see them in Glasgow. Saved me at least €600 because I was seriously thinking of going to America to see them. It was an amazing, religious experience for me!

Basically, Dave Berman = today's Leonard Cohen and Hank Williams rolled into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Aye, I know snide remarks about a Pavement side project have long abated, and Berman is the main man here. I've only listened to American Water yet, though, and Malkmus obviously has a significant enough role to play on that album.

Anyway, I'm still loving it, so which record would you recommend I go for next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Whatever, they're all good, except the earliest stuff. Enjoy. :)

Advertisement