Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 32' (LE32R72B) and NTL digital settings?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Guys I'm new to the world of lcd tvs. I'm just after getting my Samsung 32' LE32R72B I connected up the ntl digital box via its scart lead and the standard pipe cable for the basic terrestrial station.

To be honest the picture isn't great on either, which for terrestrial is excusable but the ntl digital is a bit rough. Especially within the range of 4ft its quite blocky.

Could someone tell me how to improve the picture, or point out what I am doing wrong, maybe its the settings or just the plain old sh8tness of ntl.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No SD content is going to look great on a LCD, but most TV channels are low quality and the LCD brins that out in them. Its the trade off for going with a LCD :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Make sure colour tones are set to normal cant remember if Samsung set them to "cool" out of the box they did with the earlier firmwares on those series.

As Ciaran500 said not much you can do but you can try turning down the sharpness in the display controls and fiddle around with the brightness, colour & contrast settings till you get something you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Hi, i have the same TV. I was messing around in the service menu today and now where it used to say calibration success its says failure:( . Anyone know how to fix this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What did you change? Don't go near anything in there unless you know what it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

I pressed right on av and on pc calibration, in the calibration menu. I didnt change any values in the other menus. they bought say failure now! Any ideas what to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

Well I bought one of these today and hooked up my sky digital to it through RGB scart.
    Out of the box the SD picture is bad, but i spent about 3 hours tweaking settings to get a great quality picture.
    Believe it or not I now have the high bitrate sky channels as good as a CRT (at about 4ft away). The lower bitrate channels are quite good but they were a little blocky on a CRT anyway, nothing I'd complain about.

I can't say anything for NTL's quality, but here are my settings.

Mode: Movie (Don't think this matters but just in case)

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 39

Sharpness: 10 (This is the most important one, because you're putting in a signal from a digital set top box the picture is quite sharp, as you increase the sharpness it shows up image artifacts and pixelates the picture. If you decrease it to 10 it will not make the image blurry and it will clean it up a lot.)

Colour: 47

Colour Tone: "Normal" or "Warm 1" are the 2 I like, this one will really be your own preference.

Hope it helps you out, let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Nephew wrote:
    Guys I'm new to the world of lcd tvs. I'm just after getting my Samsung 32' LE32R72B I connected up the ntl digital box via its scart lead and the standard pipe cable for the basic terrestrial station.

To be honest the picture isn't great on either, which for terrestrial is excusable but the ntl digital is a bit rough. Especially within the range of 4ft its quite blocky.

Could someone tell me how to improve the picture, or point out what I am doing wrong, maybe its the settings or just the plain old sh8tness of ntl.

Thanks

Hey Nephew,

I've got the R4 version of your Sammy and ntl digital, I'll check the settings I have later and post back.

I also think that our very own Mod Sparky-s aka Spanky-s has moved from sky to ntl and has the same tv so he might be around to offer his settings.

Later,

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ciaran500 wrote:
    No SD content is going to look great on a LCD, but most TV channels are low quality and the LCD brins that out in them. Its the trade off for going with a LCD :/

LOL! LCD/Plasma are actually perfectly capable of displaying standard def because they have built in scalers to adjust resolution and nowadays in "good" screens this scaling is made quite effecient.

Unbeknownst to me I must have sky HD, because my NTL Digital connection is pretty good. Certainly better than the standard NTL snow.

I do agree though that if there is a poor signal input then the screen cannot compensate for that. However, a good SD signal is quite watchable in my opinion.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

quazzy wrote:
    Hey Nephew,

I've got the R4 version of your Sammy and ntl digital, I'll check the settings I have later and post back.

I also think that our very own Mod Sparky-s aka Spanky-s has moved from sky to ntl and has the same tv so he might be around to offer his settings.

Later,

Q

Yup, still on NTL.

I adjusted the picture only slightly from what I had with sky. I do notice that the NTL digital picture is a lot more blocky than sky, but I have the scart going through my kiss DVR which in return improves the picture slightly.

I'm no where near my TV at the moment to get the settings.

Advertisement