Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about the earl of kildare

Options
  • 22-12-2006 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Im trying to do some research for my new novel i have started. does anyone know which earl of kildare built his residence on the then less regarded Southside. When asked why he was building on the South Side, he replied "Where I go, fashion follows me"?? any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Southside of Dublin? I'm not aware of any Earl of Kildare having done so. Perhaps if you could give us the name of the structure you are refering to it would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Leinster House i think... or maybe there was another that preceded it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

If you search Earl of Kildare on Wiki you should find it. It tells you most of the Earls of Kildare but not the one who actually said it or were he built his house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

So does that mean it didn't happen?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

it grand man i found him

"James Fitzgerald, 1st Duke of Leinster (see here), born 1722,
    succ as 20th Earl of Kildare 1744,
    the old town house in Dublin was in Suffolk St,
    he built new town house, Kildare House, 1745,
    he chose the unfashionable S side of Dublin (the Merrion Square front faced what was then countryside) and his decision changed the face of Dublin forever, it started a trend for the SE side of the city, which exploded with the developments of the Fitzwilliams,
    Kildare said "Wherever I go, fashion will follow me." and no one could have been proved more right - the N side, formerly the fashionable area, sank into a decay from which it has never recovered; over 250 years later and the S side is still the premium side of Dublin - while the N side, like the inner medieval city, is only a battered remnant of its former glory,"

http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Fitzgerald/16th.earl.kildare.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement